The proposal would raise fees for undergraduate business school majors to $3,000 and to $1500 for minors by the 2019-2020 school year.

Seven committee members voted against recommending the proposal and three voted to recommend it, Student Congress Speaker Cole Simons said. The fee will now go to the Student Fee Advisory Subcommittee without the audit committee’s recommendation.

Four administrators presented the proposal to the Student Fees Audit Committee — Doug Shackelford, dean of the Kenan-Flagler Business School; Anna Millar, director of the Undergraduate Business Program; Dave Stevens, associate dean for finance and operations at Kenan-Flagler and David Vogel, associate director for undergraduate business career development and employer relations at Kenan-Flagler.

Simons said student input at the meeting drove some committee members to vote against the proposed fee.

The fee is designed to increase resources for business school students, add blended classes and allow a higher enrollment at the school.

“David (Vogel) and I have spent the better half of the entirety of a year working on exactly how every dollar of the fee would be spent, and we have an extensive financial model to show that,” Millar said.

In a statement after the meeting, audit committee chairperson Harry Edwards said the committee didn’t want business school students already in the school to have to pay unexpected costs.

During the meeting, Edwards asked Shackelford why the business school was pursuing an increased fee instead of changing tuition. Shackelford said he was doing what he was advised to do by higher-ups.

“I don’t really care,” Shackelford said. “That is the honest answer. I don’t really know all these distinctions.”

Joe Nail, chief of staff for student government, said he was concerned about the lack of student feedback in Shackelford’s proposal. There were nine students surveyed in the proposal, and Shackelford said eight of the nine supported the fee. Nail said he talked to 223 students about the fee and 70 percent were opposed to the increase.

“Most people feel left out of the conversation,” Nail said.