View from the Hill: Former presidential candidates abandon politics, embrace stardom

Former Texas governor Rick Perry's "Dancing with the Stars" debut on Sept. 12 was complete with a bolo tie, a corn dog stand and, of course, a Cha Cha dance on a huge image of Texas. 

The over-the-top performance featured all of this and other highlights — including a beautiful woman in a bikini handing Perry a corn dog for no apparent reason. 

In case you aren’t a lifelong "DWTS" fan, go ahead, take a few minutes and make your day exponentially better by watching this video.

“My daughter’s wedding is coming up, so I need to be ready to look really good on the dance floor for her,” Perry said in his opening interview. 

He and his partner, Emma Slater, danced to the song, “God Blessed Texas,” by the country band Little Texas, on a large outline of Texas, in front of the Texas flag, because what else could we expect? 

“People are probably watching this going, ‘What a dumbass,’ ” Perry said.

No comment.

via GIPHY

Viewers of Monday night’s show also enjoyed practice footage that featured Perry learning dance moves from Slater, including one called a “butt roll.”

“My wife is gonna love that move,” Perry said.

via GIPHY

While the judges each gave the duo a five out of 10 — the lowest score of the night — I give them 10s for their outfits.

Needless to say, the internet was not quiet about the performance.

Some of Perry’s fellow former presidential hopefuls felt like weighing in.

Others did not.

"DWTS" judge Julianne Hough summed up the performance best in her comments on the show. 

“What I always say is, ‘When in doubt, go full out,’ and you definitely did that,” she said.

When asked how the experience compared to running for president, Perry said there was no comparison.

“A presidential debate ain’t even in the class,” he said. “This is as good as it gets.”

It seems the former governor has found his true calling.

via GIPHY

Perry isn’t the only former Republican candidate who found themselves back on television in the past week.

Former Florida Governor Jeb Bush made a surprise appearance at the Emmys last night, playing a limo driver who, as he boasts, makes $12 an hour. The candidate appears in the video below at 3:45.  

While giving Jimmy Kimmel a ride to the Emmys, Bush tells him it must be nice to be nominated. 

“If you run a positive campaign, the voters will ultimately make the right choice," Bush said.

via GIPHY

“Jimmy, that was a joke, and shave that wig off your face, you godless Hollywood hippie,” he added. Then he threw Kimmel out of the car and sped away, giving us just a glimpse of a “Jeb! 2016” bumper sticker that was edited to read “Jeb! 2020.”

Fifty days until the election and it’s still impossible to tell if we’re actually just living inside a really long "Saturday Night Live" sketch.

via GIPHY

@olivinonaprayer