UNC football trails Virginia Tech at halftime, 13-3

The North Carolina football team trails Virginia Tech, 13-3, after 30 minutes in Kenan Stadium. Here are some things of note from the first half. 

Wet and wild

Heavy rains throughout the first half led an interesting opening half of play. The teams combined to fumble seven times, although only three were lost (two by Virginia Tech and one for UNC).  

The elements seemed to affect the Tart Heels the worst. North Carolina could only muster 80 yards of total offense (41 on the ground and 39 through the air) in the first half. 

Virginia Tech struggled offensively, but was able to take control despite turning the ball over twice. The Hokies converted two UNC turnovers into two field goals, and were able to take advantage of another short field on the only touchdown drive in the first 30 minutes. 

Trouble for Trubisky

North Carolina quarterback Mitch Trubisky came into the game as one of the most efficient passers in the nation, but completed just 8-of-16 passes for 39 yards in the first half. 

On the Tar Heels second drive, Trubisky was 0-for-3. He missed a receiver high, had a pass tipped at the line and then threw and interception on the very next play. 

The quarterback struggled not only because of the rain, but also a lack of pass protection. Not having Elijah Hood — UNC's best blocking back — hurt Trubisky on downs where he needed to get the ball down the field. 

Other notes

• Trubisky's first-quarter interception was his first in 243 pass attempts. He came into the game with a 13-0 touchdown-interception ratio. 
  • T.J. Logan, who picked up the start at tailback, led the Tar Heels in rushing (26 yards on eight carries) and receiving (24 yards on four catches). 
  • Ryan Switzer, who caught 30 passes combined in the Tar Heels' previous two contests, had just one catch for zero yards in the first half. 
  • Andre Smith led the way defensively for North Carolina with 11 first-half tackles.