UNC prepares for Evans, Hokies: Both teams nationally ranked ahead of Saturday’s game

The UNC football team poses for a picture after its victory over Florida State in Tallahassee on Oct. 1.

After defeating the Hokies in Coach Frank Beamer’s final home game last year, the Tar Heels (4-1, 2-0 ACC) will look to play spoilers again in the Hokies’ quest for an ACC title. But, ranked for the first time in over two years, Virginia Tech (3-1, 1-0 ACC) has its eyes set on knocking UNC off its top spot in the Coastal Division.

How do they play?

Despite the promise of junior college transfer Jerod Evans, Virginia Tech has fought the urge to get pass-happy with its talented quarterback. The Hokies have committed to a balanced offensive approach in the early part of this season, and it has paid dividends for them thus far.

The rushing attack has been a staple of Virginia Tech’s offensive game plan, averaging 195.5 yards per game. The team is lacking a true workhorse in the backfield, but that hasn’t slowed Virginia Tech down yet.

While the team has committed to running the ball, Virginia Tech’s best production has still come through the air. Evans has been phenomenal throwing the ball, slinging 13 touchdowns to just one interception. And with junior Isaiah Ford and redshirt junior Bucky Hodges on the other end of so many passes, the Hokies aerial attack has put on a show through four games.

Who stands out?

Evans seems to be the real deal. Virginia Tech had quarterback questions entering the offseason, and the junior transfer has been the answer. He has already thrown for 964 yards and is averaging almost a first down (9.36 yards) on every attempt.

Evans has also found a way to leave his mark in the run game. He is the team’s second leading rusher with 209 yards.

While Coach Justin Fuente has dialed up a few designed runs for his quarterback, Evans’ ability to scramble when a play breaks down has made him a threat in both phases of the game.

What is their biggest weakness?

Whether it’s to get pressure on the quarterback or to load the box to stop the run, Fuente has shown he is not afraid to leave two corners one-on-one on the outside.

The Hokies may not get away with this strategy against a talented group of UNC wide receivers, as Mack Hollins and Bug Howard have proven themselves as serious down-the-field threats.

How could they win?

The Hokies have specialized in splash plays this season, showing they can burn a defense for a long gain on any given play. Five Virginia Tech players have at least one play of 35 yards or more this year.

UNC’s defense has struggled with holding offenses without splash plays. The Tar Heels will have to stay sharp, because Evans and co. have specialized in making teams pay for missing tackles or blowing coverages.

@_Brohammed