UNC women's soccer drops ACC opportunity in 1-0 loss to Notre Dame

The North Carolina women’s soccer team was defeated by Notre Dame, 1-0, on Friday night at Alumni Stadium.

In their first game since Coach Anson Dorrance's 800th win, the No. 11 Tar Heels (8-3-3, 3-2-3 ACC) were hoping to extend their five-game unbeaten streak in its match with the No. 20 Fighting Irish (10-2-3, 5-1-1 ACC).

It looked promising early, as UNC outshot Notre Dame 8-6 and recorded eight corner kicks.

But in the 57th minute, first-year forward Jennifer Westendorf scored the first and only goal for the Fighting Irish.

Despite a handful of attempts, North Carolina was unable to even the score in the remaining minutes.

Goalkeeper Lindsey Harris had eight saves against a strong Notre Dame team. Despite allowing the game's only goal, she effectively staved off a number of shots on goal.

The Fighting Irish's goal in the 56th minute was the deciding factor in a hard-fought game. It looked like it might be headed to overtime until Notre Dame snuck the ball into the back of the net.

Entering the game, UNC had a chance to overtake Notre Dame's second-place spot in the ACC standings. But the Fighting Irish held strong in their first ever home win against the Tar Heels, who drop into the middle of the pack in the conference standings.

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels will remain on the road when they travel to Pittsburgh on Thursday at 7 p.m.