Department of Public Safety uses virtual reality to simulate distracted driving

Sophomore Yujin Smith participates in the distracted driving simulator held Tuesday.

In the Student Union on Tuesday, students strapped on goggles and headphones for a distracted driving simulation hosted by the Department of Public Safety.

The simulator was part of AT&T’s It Can Wait campaign, which raises awareness about distracted driving. Participants experienced a 360-degree virtual reality which showed the consequences of looking at a mobile device while behind a vehicle. After, participants were encouraged to sign a pledge to never drive distracted.

DPS Chief Jeff McCracken said he wanted to host the simulator on campus because it is an area where there are a large number of pedestrians and vehicles. He said it is important that everybody is aware of their surroundings.

“I think that most people will understand the dangers of driving while distracted. What I think most people don’t realize is how easy it is to become distracted to the point that it has a negative impact on your ability to operate a vehicle,” he said. “That’s what you learn from the simulator.”

Robert Doreauk, regional director of external affairs for AT&T, said he thinks this event is important because it brings awareness to an issue that happens so often.

“We all see the commercials of what can happen while texting and driving and even though AT&T makes its living on text and data communication, we don’t want anybody to text while driving,” Doreauk said.

Junior Sneha Kumar was the first one lined up to experience the driving simulator. She said after being in an accident earlier in the semester on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard where the other driver was distracted, she gained a stronger awareness of the consequences of texting and driving.

“I have texted and driven before, but since I was recently in an accident, I am very against texting and driving, against distracted driving,” she said. “I will not use my phone ever while driving.”

Kumar, who frequently rides her bike around campus, said she found the virtual reality to be relatable and realistic.

“I thought the part where the simulator showed you you were driving over a crosswalk and there were bikers coming was really interesting because I bike around campus and I bike on streets all the time, and I’ve had that experience where I feel like people are going to hit me,” she said.

Sophomore Yujin Smith took part in the virtual experience and thought the most surprising part was when the video simulated her death and ascension into the sky.

“It was weird, I didn’t know what was happening half the time and all of the sudden I died,” she said. “I never really liked distracted driving to begin with, so I’m the type of person who yells at my friends when they touch their phone and I’m a passenger. I feel like I’ve pledged this ten times myself already.”

McCracken said DPS has worked with the Watch For Me NC campaign and will continue to do events throughout the year to promote awareness.

“It is important for both drivers and pedestrians to slow down and really pay attention to their surroundings as they’re moving around on campus,” he said. “When someone is distracted, unfortunately that can result in tragedy and we certainly don’t want that.”

@danielleeeb5