Saturday May 28th

Letter: ​Vote out Pat McCrory for a better N.C.

In the North Carolina gubernatorial debate between Gov. McCrory and Roy Cooper, McCrory touted his economic record and slammed Cooper for trying to make the campaign about social issues. McCrory’s critique is hypocritical on two fronts.

It is the height of hypocrisy for a governor who supports House Bill 2 to boast of his economic record. Unprecedented economic fallout over the bill has cost the state millions in expected revenue from the withdrawal of the 2017 NBA All-Star Game, the ACC football championship and NCAA tournament games. McCrory should be running and hiding from his economic record, not highlighting it.

It is further hypocritical to antagonize focusing on social issues when North Carolina has been the center of national controversy for police shootings and racial tension.

It should be a prerequisite for any candidate seeking our state’s highest office to take a vested interest in social issues. Given the record of the McCrory-led and Republican-dominated General Assembly, it is easy to see why he wishes to divert attention from social issues.

We must vote out McCrory and vote in a governor who will champion social issues and repeal HB2.

Holt McKeithan

First-year

Undecided

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for March 7, 2022