Letter: Votes matter a lot in contested N.C.

It’s finally here. After a year and a half of campaigning and vitriol, Election Day 2016 has arrived.

And your vote matters more than ever. North Carolina is a pivotal swing state, with the outcome here possibly deciding control of both the White House and the Senate.

Add in state and local races like the governorship, State Supreme Court and bond referendums, and the 2016 election has the potential to reshape the town, state and country for years to come.

Fortunately, many students have already voted. Nearly 10,000 more Orange County ballots were cast during Early Voting in 2016 than in 2012.

But for those of you who have yet to cast a ballot, from 6:30 a.m. through 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 8th is your last chance. You can find your voting location here: bit.ly/Find2016.

If you can’t get to your own precinct location, you can cast an out-of-precinct ballot. The location closest to campus is the Center for Dramatic Arts/Paul Green Theatre, 120 Country Club Road, Chapel Hill.

Student government tries to represent student interests and advocate for Carolina at all levels of government. However, the best advocate for you is yourself. In a democratic society, nothing offers as direct and powerful a tool for representation as your vote. Don’t let others drown out your voice.

Speak up!

Vote.

Bradley Opere

Student body president

Wilson Sink

Director of state and external affairs