Sexism in sports is not a secret. Opportunities are scarce even in the journalism world. Often when reporting positions become available, women are relegated to the sidelines.

While women have seen an uptick in representation over the past couple of decades, women are not visible in the sports analysis and commentary that happens in the booths.

The women who report from the sidelines, often highly qualified, are generally judged on their looks rather than their reporting. Just Google “female sports reporters” and you find articles entitled “40 Hottest Female Sports Reporters.” Or look at Drake’s creepy treatment of Doris Burke, whose face he plastered on the t-shirt he wore to a Raptors game.

But things are beginning to change. Women increasingly are participating in the analysis of sports rather than just sideline interviews.

Heather Dinich, a college football reporter for ESPN on several programs, is a great example of a rising star in the sports analysis world. While her success continues to grow, her presence on panels and in podcasts has met mixed reactions.

While Dinich herself encourages female reporters to brush off sexist comments and flirting from players and team staff, some fans have responded with vitriol to her presence in the commentator’s box.

Still, we applaud ESPN for promoting a woman based on her credentials and not holding her back based on sexist responses. We hope to hear her thoughts, and the thoughts of other non-men, on UNC sports in the future.