Letter: Republicans in the General Assembly can make things right

This week, the North Carolina General Assembly is returning for its “Long Session.” It goes without saying that the General Assembly has had a shameful track record over the last year. From passing House Bill 2 to using back room partisan maneuvering to try to strip Governor Cooper of his power, Republicans in Raleigh have made our state a national laughingstock.

With this new session, the Republican leadership in the General Assembly has an opportunity to make things right. They can accept Governor Cooper’s outstretched hand, and work with him to move our state forward on key issues.

They can join states across the country in expanding Medicaid, bringing health coverage to over 500,000 of our most vulnerable neighbors. They can restore our reputation and end the economic damage by repealing House Bill 2. And they can support our world-class public schools and universities by giving them the resources they need.

Governor Cooper’s election last November showed clearly that North Carolinians are tired of the partisan games and divisive policies coming from Republican leaders in Raleigh. As they return to session, Republican legislation would do well to remember that, and work with Governor Cooper on common sense solutions to get our state on the right track again.

Sharon Goldenberg

Chapel Hill