Quick Hits for Jan. 26, 2017

Digital syllabus

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

All syllabi ought to be in online PDF form on Sakai. Every single time a syllabus is in a Microsoft Word document, we have to download it, which takes up space on a computer. This isn’t too bad per syllabus, but it adds up. What’s worse is when you cannot find it in your files, so you have to download it yet again.

Red, white and boo

4722_thumbsupo.jpg

Protests are patriotic. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. This country was founded by people who protested, mocked and sometimes attacked a shitty leader who refused to listen to them. Our founders had King George to mock. We have a sensitive, coddled orange-on-legs to mock. Let’s keep making him mad.

Truly terrible Trump

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

The alarmists were right — the Trump administration is that bad. It might even be worse than what the alarmists have said. To all the people who told us to “just give him a chance,” look where that got us. We must continue to resist his rule. He didn’t deserve a first chance, and he sure as hell doesn’t deserve another.

Mu$eum money

4722_thumbsupo.jpg

The Ackland Art Museum received $25 million in one large donation. With the National Endowment for the Arts on the chopping block, it is refreshing to see people supporting art. The Ackland was already great, and we’re excited to see the museum grow! Please put some of our cartoons in your new fancy exhibit.

Inevitability of death

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

Today is the birthday of Opinion Editor Tyler Fleming. It’s sad that this intelligent, somewhat socialist, slightly pretentious and lovable boy is one year closer to death. Tyler, your taste in music might be “unpatriotic” or “literal industrial noise,” but we appreciate you unconditionally. Thanks for making us write good.

Neo-Nazis

To punch or not to punch? On one hand, you might hurt your hand. On the other hand, it’d be a (not self-proclaimed, but pretty obvious nonetheless) Neo-Nazi. The decision isn’t ours to make for you! But imagine the question appearing in philosophy textbooks in the years to come. Come on, think-pieces!