Class project inspires Wilson Caldwell Day

The Wilson Caldwell Monument stands in the Chapel Hill Memorial Cemetery on South Road.

The students’ main focus of the campaign is creating a Wilson Caldwell Day to memorialize how Caldwell, who was born a slave in the household of the University’s second president, David Swain, assisted in the building of the University.

The class ended in fall 2016, but senior Anna Blackwell and the other students want others to understand the importance of Caldwell’s work.

“We decided, even though the class ended, to keep this project going ‘cause we thought it was very important to. So now we’re reaching out to the entire campus with our Wilson Caldwell day,” said Blackwell, a co-organizer of the project.

Junior and co-organizer Kristen Marion said Feb. 27 is an appropriate date for Wilson Caldwell Day because it is both the end of Black History Month and Caldwell’s birthday.

“Basically what we’re asking from the administration is a formal letter of acknowledgement and apology for the University’s role in the trans-Atlantic slave trade and then just their support in creating an annual day of memorialization for those enslaved workers,” Marion said.

During her time on campus, Marion said she has felt better when the University has acknowledged its racial history. She said part of creating the day is to open up the discussion to students.

“Now, yes, this is an African-American topic so primary attention will probably be given to those who are of African-American descent, but it is not at all a campaign that was just to be non-inclusive,” Marion said.

Blackwell said the history of race and slavery on campus is not talked about often enough, due to the controversies that it can create.

“I think a large percentage of the student population really has no idea about the history of slavery at this University, and it’s a touchy subject obviously,” she said.

Caldwell’s relative Stacey Caldwell, who was born in Chapel Hill and still lives here, wants Wilson Caldwell to receive recognition for his work at the University and the community as a whole. During his time in Chapel Hill, Wilson Caldwell was able to build a school in the Northside district and become a justice of the peace, Stacey Caldwell said.

“I think my family has served the University and the town for many years, but anyways, to make a long story short, he always wanted to have a building named after our family because of the contributions they made to Chapel Hill and the University,” Stacey Caldwell said.

A Wilson Caldwell Day celebration will be held on Feb. 27 at Horton Residence Hall. The event will start off with a candlelight vigil from 6 to 7 p.m. and will then move to Genome Science Building Room 100 for a town hall meeting from 7 to 8 p.m. on Caldwell and the University’s racial history.