Letter: ​DTH editorial left out crucial information

The Feb. 1 opinion piece “UNC administrators mishandled Trump’s ban” left out important facts. Chancellor Folt shares the concerns of the campus community about the potential effects of the executive order. She has been highly engaged with UNC Global and campus leadership to ensure that we are doing everything possible to support those affected. Since these specific issues arose last fall, the Chancellor and her leadership team have issued several campus communications and have met with faculty and student groups to address their questions and concerns. The most important outcome of these meetings has been to ensure those affected are directed to appropriate resources and are fully supported.

To be clear, as she has previously and repeatedly communicated to our campus, Carolina is already doing what every other university is claiming to do in terms of protection of records, documents and identities. And as they have stated in several public forums, our campus police do not ask for citizenship status or gather immigration information. Chancellor Folt appreciates and shares the concerns the faculty are expressing for our students and encourages all of us to work together on these important issues.

Joel Curran

Vice Chancellor of University Communications