Letter: 'Trump is the worst' column was the worst

On Thursday, The Daily Tar Heel published a column titled “Depth of my Trump anger,” consisting entirely of 153 instances of the phrase “Trump is the worst.”

I should not have to explain why this lacks any semblance of merit, and, frankly, it can only accurately be called a shitpost.

I’m under the impression that columnists have to apply to write for the DTH; this would imply that there is some measure of quality to be expected.

I can only assume that this column was published with no oversight or editing whatsoever, because I can’t imagine any opinion editor or editor-in-chief approving of something so unfathomably bad.

I feel terribly for the copy editors — assuming the DTH has copy editors — who had to read this.

I feel terribly for the DTH columnists whose work is placed on the same tier as 153 repetitions of “Trump is the worst.”

Most of all, I feel terribly for the readers of The Daily Tar Heel, who were expecting their local paper “to consistently beat our competition in terms of breaking news and quality of content,” as the mission statement reads.

“Quality of content” is a phrase that no self-respecting publication has a right to use when it publishes something so severely lacking in quality.

Please consider adopting a basic standard for your editorial content that is above this shamelessly atrocious column.

Connor Bolinder

Fayetteville