SBP elections: Maurice Grier says his campaign is based on love

SBP Candidates Maurice Grier, a junior and political science major.

His platform is built on the concept of L.O.V.E, which stands for Listen, Observe, Value and Embrace.

“I know the love is here,” he said. “It’s just about bringing it out of students.”

The concept was born in his room with his roommate, Noah Legall, when they were discussing divisions that still exist on campus.

“One thing he’s a really strong proponent of is bridging gaps between organizations that on paper never really have a chance to interact,” Legall said.

Grier’s main issues are race relations, sexual assault and inclusion in the Greek community. Grier said he would like to see more interaction between the Greek councils, such as the Interfraternity Council and the National Pan-Hellenic Council.

David Sowers, Grier’s friend and a fraternity member, helped inspire Grier’s Greek community plan.

“We’ve talked a lot about how we could have some connection between the two organizations, ‘cause right now there’s not much, if any,” Sowers said.

Grier’s focus on race relations extends beyond the Greek community. He said his original perception of the University and its inclusivity was not the reality he found when he reached campus.

“I’m really hoping to bring that concept that Carolina prides itself on out of students,” Grier said.

Sexual assault and confronting the administration are at the forefront of Grier’s campaign.

As a survivor of sexual assault himself, Grier hopes to bring his own experience to the subject and develop a safe community for victims on campus.

“I won’t sit here and act like I have this foolproof plan on how we are gonna tackle this, but I can say that as a survivor of child sexual assault, I understand the different things associated with a living environment that doesn’t feel welcoming,” Grier said.