Faculty Council announces chairperson for next three years

After three years, faculty chairperson Bruce Cairns passed his leadership responsibilities to Leslie Parise, chairperson of the biochemistry and biophysics department, at the Faculty Council's last meeting of the school year Friday.

Who spoke?

Cairns was unable to attend, but secretary of the faculty Vin Steponaitis read his remarks aloud. In his statement, Cairns said he was honored to serve as chairperson.

“We have had to address a lot of issues over the past three years, perhaps the most important being the ones that led to our probation with (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools) — I don’t just mean the 70 reforms we’ve put into place or the changes in administrative structure, advising, athletics and oversight — but rather the need for us as a faculty to come together and talk about what really matters to us: our role in being leaders of this University,” Cairns' statement said.

Parise will serve a three-year term starting during the 2017-2018 school year.

“And I, of course, look very forward to working with our campus leaders," Parise said. "I think that would be a lot of fun and I hope to accomplish a lot and as you all know UNC is a great place and we have to work hard and strategically to keep it that way and I just wanna do the best I can in that regard so thank you."

Chancellor Carol Folt discussed how the new UNC Horizons Center is treating both mothers and children. She attended the center's grand opening on Wednesday.

She also talked about the process of getting funding for UNC, as well as this year's graduating class being the class she started with as chancellor.

“I know those are important issues for everybody, we don’t know what will happen in terms of our budget, but our biggest issues I think right now with budget really are things like how the science is gonna get funded and what will happen to … those are at such a scale of importance at the big research universities, but how Pell Grants are going to be administered … you know these are all things that are very important,” Folt said.

Felicia Washington, vice chancellor for workforce strategy, equity and engagement, presented an update on the diversity syllabus and a new framework for the University Office for Diversity and Inclusion.

When do they meet next?

Not for a while. The next Faculty Council meeting is scheduled for Sept. 8, 2017.