Fletcher Cox poured his sole into a new shoe strap business

Senior economics and environmental studies major Fletcher Cox shows off his invention, the "Strip-Strap."

Entrepreneurship isn’t for everyone, but sometimes all it takes is a broken lifejacket and some fishing line. That's what happened for senior Fletcher Cox when he created Strip-Straps.

“Strip-Straps are removable ankle straps for flip-flops that convert your flops into the perfect adventure sandal,” Cox said, “Essentially they’re a product that allows you to enjoy the utility of a heavy-duty Chaco or Teva-type shoe, but with the flip-flop that you already own.”

The environmental studies and economics major began his venture during the summer of 2014 in the U.S. Virgin Islands. While working as a kayak and scuba instructor, he noticed that floppy footwear was a problem for both him and his clients.

“People would come in to the shop, about to go on a kayaking trip and not really know what kind of shoes to wear,” he said, “At the same time, I was hitchhiking about eight miles round trip to and from work wearing a heavy backpack and a ratty old pair of Rainbows.”

One day, he took apart a defunct lifejacket, attached the elastic strap to the back of his sandal with some fishing line — and the Strip-Strap was born.

Cox arrived back at UNC and began tinkering with his design to develop a marketable product. In the summer of 2016, he partnered with New South Manufactory.

“Fletcher sort of wandered in one day with this crazy idea,” said David Brown, owner of the Raleigh-based manufacturing company.

He said New South worked with Cox to streamline the manufacturing process. Now, the company has manufactured over 100 pairs of Strip-Straps, all made completely with domestically-sourced materials.

Cox has had success so far with his idea. He has advanced to the final round of TigerLaunch, a nationwide entrepreneurial competition at Princeton University. If he wins TigerLaunch, Strip-Straps will become his full-time occupation after graduation.

“I would ideally like them to be sold anywhere flip-flops are sold,” Cox said. 

He would like to get an evaluation from a podiatrist to see if Strip-Straps improve the foot support of a typical flip-flop. He also said there is a possible philanthropic expansion of his business into developing countries, similar to the work done by TOMS Footwear. 

For now, Cox is just growing a group of devoted customers. Matt Mengert is one of them.

“They’re made pretty well and they’re pretty easy to use,” Mengert said. 

He said he would recommend Strip-Straps to anyone who likes outdoor activities or trying new things.

Cox said he has tested the product multiple times. He has sported Strip-Straps on a ten-mile hike through the Spanish Pyrenees, but the most impressive feat he’s accomplished in Strip-Straps is a jump off a 35-foot cliff in Jamaica.