NCAA awards North Carolina championship bids following partial HB2 repeal

North Carolina is among the list of states chosen to host NCAA championship events, according to an NCAA press release Tuesday.

The NCAA Board of Governors said it voted reluctantly to consider the state's championship bids April 4 — after the passage of House Bill 142, a partial repeal of HB2. 

The Greensboro Coliseum, one of more than 3,000 bid submissions in 2020. The venue has hosted 63 NCAA men's tournament games — the fifth most in tournament history — the NCAA said in its press release. 

"(This) will mark the first time since 2012 that tournament games have been played in that venue," the press release said. 

The PNC arena in Raleigh was also chosen to host the first two rounds of men's basketball tournaments in 2021, among other NCAA championship sporting events.

After the announcement of the winning bids for championship sites, the ACLU of North Carolina posted several Tweets in response. 

"We have yet to see any evidence showing how the @NCAA can ensure nondiscrimination protections for these events," Sarah Gillooly, policy director for the ACLU of North Carolina, said in the Tweet.