In its final home ACC series of the season, the North Carolina softball team (34-11, 12-5 ACC) faced off against Boston College (24-16, 8-5 ACC) in a doubleheader on Friday afternoon, winning the first game by a score of 7-4 and the second game 2-0.

Game 1

Following a quick three outs for the Eagles, the Tar Heels took to the plate in the bottom of the first. The first UNC run came deep into the batting order, with junior Katelyn Shifflett reaching home on a Leah Murray single. With bases loaded, first-year Brittany Pickett couldn’t convert, closing out the first inning of action.

In the top of the second, pitcher Brittany Pickett recorded three strikeouts and allowed one hit, making for another quick turn at the plate for Boston College.

The third inning featured yet another strikeout for Pickett. Sophomore Berlynne Delamora secured the second out with a high-flying grab at her third base position. BC’s Dani Thomas launched a line drive right at Delamora a few feet above her head, and Delamora used all 5 feet and 4 inches of her frame to snag the ball out of the air.

The top of the fourth inning featured a recurring theme – Brittany Pickett strikeouts. She recorded her sixth and seventh of the game.

Following great pitching by Pickett, the Tar Heels had a hot inning at the plate. Junior Taylor Wike started it off with a two RBI double, driving first-years Campbell Hutcherson and Micaela Abbatine in. With the bases loaded, Delamora, the next up to the plate, was walked, resulting in an easy trot to the plate for sophomore Destiny DeBerry. Following suit, sophomore Katie Bailiff hit an RBI single, sending Wike, the one who started the fourth inning scoring affair, in. This made the score 5-0.

Pickett continued to add to her already outstanding performance in the fifth inning. In the top of the inning, she recorded her eighth strikeout of the game. Then, she led off the bottom of the inning with a line drive home run to make the score 6-0.

In the sixth, Bailiff hit the lone hit in the sixth inning for both sides with an RBI double, making the score 7-0.

The seventh inning featured a major turn of events. To start off the hectic seventh inning play, Boston College hit a ball in shortstop Taylor Wike’s direction. Within a fraction of a second, Wike gathered the ball and tried to flick the ball to Shifflett at second base, almost resulting in an out. However, Shifflett couldn’t handle the ball, which allowed a BC player at third base to run home.

Two hitters later, Pickett threw a wild pitch, allowing another Eagle to reach home. This made the score 7-2.

After securing the second out, the Tar Heels seemed confident in their lead and set out to secure the final out of the game. However, Tatiana Cortez of BC hit a lob right in between second base and center field, resulting in two RBIs and a score of 7-4.

Next, BC’s Annie Murphy hit a pop fly. The hit seemed like a perfect opportunity for Wike to catch the ball and end the game. Yet to the dismay of the crowd, the ball bounced off her glove and runners advanced. The next at bat resulted in the same thing – a pop fly. This time, first baseman Campbell Hutcherson kept her cool and caught the ball, securing the win for the Tar Heels.

Brittany Pickett was the clear standout in the first game. She threw her second nine-strikeout game of the season (first one was against Purdue on 2/18), just one strikeout shy of a career high. She also allowed only five hits.

At the plate, Pickett hit her eighth home run of the season.

The four-run fourth inning seemed to be the deciding factor for the Tar Heels. However, thanks to a chaotic seventh inning, UNC’s win was put on hold until the very end.

Game 2

The 30-minute intermission between games appeared to help the Tar Heels calm down after nearly falling apart to end the first game.

Both teams were solid defensively in the first two innings, with each team recording one hit.

Pickett continued dominating on the mound, recording two strikeouts in the first three innings.

Following a low hitting affair to start the game, Katelyn Shifflett hit a two RBI double to start off the scoring for the Tar Heels in the bottom of the third to make the score 2-0.

After the two North Carolina runs, the game got quiet again – the fourth inning featured no hits for either side.

Defense prevailed again in the fifth, epitomized by right fielder Leah Murray’s diving catch to secure the second out for the Tar Heels. To follow up the strong defensive effort, Taylor Wike doubled to center field, yet no teammates could help her out, leading to another scoreless inning for both sides.

The sixth inning featured another great North Carolina catch. Center fielder Destiny DeBerry made a great grab, launching herself into the air and slamming against the fence padding to secure the out. Pickett got the final out of the inning with her fifth strikeout of the game.

The seventh inning was more of the same – defense. The game ended very differently from the first game with a final score of 2-0.

First-year Brittany Pickett stood out again in the second game. After delivering 129 pitches in the first game, she continued pitching duties in the second game with 84 more pitches. After pitching the entire first game, her performance didn’t taper off – she also pitched the entire second game, finishing with six strike outs.

The second game was much different from the first, with only six hits compared to the first game’s 13. The two-run third inning turned out to be the difference, as Boston College was unable to get on the scoreboard.

Overall

The Tar Heels’ two wins against the Boston College Eagles are big. Coming into the day, BC sat in second place in the ACC, followed by UNC in third. Following North Carolina’s two wins against the Eagles, the two teams flipped, with UNC taking over second and Boston College moving back into third.

No matter the result tomorrow, UNC will still sit atop BC in the ACC standings, although another win would be huge in helping secure a high seed heading into the ACC Tournament in May.

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels take the field again tomorrow against the Eagles at 1 p.m.

@esingletary4