Sunday January 29th

Campus Y hosts various advocacy groups

(From left) Courtney Staton and Alexander Peeples have been named the new co-presidents of the campus Y.
Buy Photos (From left) Courtney Staton and Alexander Peeples have been named the new co-presidents of the campus Y.

The Campus Y, located at the north end of Polk Place, is more than the home to a great cup of coffee at In the Meantime — it’s also the home to more than 30 clubs that advocate for solutions to social injustices. Here’s our guide to all 30, organized by broader mission and in alphabetical order.

Advocacy

• Carolina Advocating for Gender Equality (CAGE): CAGE aims to stop gender bias by engaging all genders in the UNC and local community.
  • Coalition for Human Rights (CHR): CHR addresses domestic and international human rights issues through teach-ins and opportunities for grassroots activism.
  • Criminal Justice Awareness and Action (CJAA): CJAA focuses on issues facing the criminal justice system and partners with organizations such as Durham County Youth Home.
  • Student Environmental Action Coalition (SEAC): SEAC defends social justice through environmental initiatives by partnering with groups such as Rogers Road, which works to maintain adequate public health standards for water and sewer infrastructure.
  • Students United for Immigrant Equality (SUIE): SUIE brings attention to immigrant issues and focuses on equality for all, regardless of documentation status.

Community Inclusion

• Best Buddies: Best Buddies partners UNC students with local community members that have intellectual or emotional disabilities based on shared interests. These buddies hang out several times a month, spending time together one-on-one and at large club gatherings.
  • Build the Hill: Formerly known as the Carolina Microfinance Initiative, Build the Hill provides loans and credit building services to local small businesses that don’t have the financial means to access traditional banks.
  • Enrich ELL: Enrich ELL teaches English to adult learners, while also providing childcare, mentoring and tutoring to their children during classes.
  • Hope Gardens: Hope Gardens encompasses a 14-acre green-space on Homestead Road that employs homeless individuals and provides cooking classes focusing on the garden’s produce, as well as providing free meals to participants.
  • Linking Immigrants to New Communities (LINC): LINC provides resources for recent immigrants through student interaction, connection to resources and awareness efforts on- and off-campus.
  • Youth for Elderly Services (YES): Members of YES provide companionship for elderly community members by volunteering.

Education and Youth Development

• Art & Life: The Art & Life club offers an afterschool arts program for local youth, which UNC students plan and teach.
  • Big Buddy: Big Buddy pairs UNC students with “at risk” 6-year-old to 14-year-old children in Chapel Hill and Carrboro. In the program, which is affiliated with Big Brothers Big Sisters of America, volunteers serve as mentors and role models.
  • Carolina Kickoff: CK is a three-day introduction to UNC for 175 incoming students. During the social justice-oriented camp, students listen to speakers like the Chancellor and department heads.
  • Catalyst Conference: The conference brings 100 high schoolers to campus for a weekend to talk about social justice.
  • Helping Youth by Providing Enrichment: Students volunteering for HYPE tutor and mentor children at underserved community centers in the area.
  • Project Literacy: The organization partners with organizations that combat illiteracy both locally and nationally.
  • Technology without Borders: TWB strives to provide technical education and access to technology for underprivileged.

Global

• A Drink for Tomorrow: ADFT seeks to create long-term, effective and community-driven safe water for all.
  • Advocates for Grassroots Development in Uganda: AGRADU supports grassroots efforts for economic development and community growth in Uganda.
  • Carolina for Amani: As the local branch of non-profit The Amani Children’s Foundation, Carolina for Amani works to connect Kenyan and American communities.
  • Nourish-UNC: The group works with local organizations to run small businesses that give profits to sustainable development projects.
  • World Micro Market: The club hosts a weekly forum on international awareness and supports Global Hands, an organization that encourages economic empowerment.

Public Health

• Advocates for Carolina: The student organization raises disability awareness and promotes the idea that the word ‘disability’ is empowering.
  • Carolina Hunger and Education and Activism Project: CHEAP advocates for stopping hunger by efforts such as packaging meals that are distributed to areas of need in the world.
  • Embody Carolina: The group raises awareness about eating disorders and trains individuals to identify and support peers dealing with eating disorders.
  • Health Focus: Through volunteering at UNC Children’s Hospital, organizing nutrition talks at local elementary and middle schools and holding the Holistic Health Fair, Health Focus aims to raise awareness for health issues.
  • Project Heal: The club’s goal is community-based health sustainability led by local health officials. It currently works to increase basic health knowledge, access to essential medical supplies and care quality in communities in Ghana.
  • Rethink: Psychiatric Illness: The student organization raises challenge stigmas and raise awareness about mental illnesses through student-led training sessions.
  • Tar Heel TABLE: The club supports TABLE, a local non-profit hunger relief organization, and increases awareness of childhood hunger and poverty in the area.

The Daily Tar Heel's 2023 Housing Edition