New Board of Trustees chairman elected

The UNC Board of Trustees elected current member Haywood D. Cochrane Jr. as chairman of the board on Thursday for a one-year term. Current members Charles G. Duckett and William A. Keyes were elected as vice chair and secretary, respectively. 

Cochrane said in a statement that he and the board will continue to follow and help Chancellor Carol Folt and her vision for the University.

“I am honored to serve as chair of the Board of Trustees and I accept this responsibility with humility and pride,” Cochrane said. “Following the examples of great leadership set by Dwight Stone and Lowry Caudill, we will continue to have a hard-working board, helping as we can in our delegated authorities, and always with a collaborative focus on the future.”

Cochrane was previously vice chair of the board and was also the past chairman of the Board of Directors of DARA Biosciences, Inc. He graduated from UNC in 1970 with a Bachelor of Arts in political science. He originally started working in the banking sector and eventually moved into the healthcare industry to help private and public companies rebuild and grow. Cochrane has worked with a variety of private companies and currently lives in Elon with his family.

Elizabeth Adkins kept her ex-officio seat, held for UNC student body presidents, and was sworn in May 25. Adkins said in an email she looks forward to working with Cochrane and what he accomplished as Chair. 

"Chairman Cochrane has a deep love for this University and I know this will translate into meaningful change for our institution," Adkins said.

Haywood D. Cochrane Jr., Charles G. Duckett, Jefferson W. Brown, Kelly Matthews Hopkins, Dwight D. Stone and Richard Y. Stevens were also reappointed on the board to begin their four-year terms.

The next Board of Trustees meeting will be Sept. 27.