Q&A with Punk Cuts to End Rape's Dolores Chandler

Punk Cuts
The Orange County Rape Crisis Center will host its 6th annual Punk Cuts to End Rape on Aug. 25. Photo courtesy of the Orange County Rape Crisis Center.

The Orange County Rape Crisis Center is hosting Punk Cuts to End Rape on Friday at The Station in Carrboro. Staff writer Seth Pyle spoke with Dolores Chandler, the OCRCC's prevention coordinator about the event.

The Daily Tar Heel: How did this event get started?

Dolores Chandler: It started six years ago. This year will be the sixth annual Punk Cuts to End Rape. Rachel Valentine (the OCRCC's community education director) held the first one at her house and it was very popular.  For the first one, she just invited some stylists to her house and got some people to raise some money. It was very DIY. 

DTH: What do you hope for this event to accomplish? 

DC: We see this event as a wonderful way for the OCRCC to get the community involved and engaged with the OCRCC and what we do. This event is also one of our key fundraising events, but is different because it is such a fun and lively event. 

DTH: How does Punk Cuts to End Rape work? 

DC: The fundraiser part of the event is currently happening right now. Each person participating has set their own goals for the money they want to raise. This Friday, at the event, is when the cuts will happen. There will also be a live auction for punk cuts on Friday. People attending can set their goals and then pool resources with others during the night to meet their goal and get a cut. 

DTH: Where is Punk Cuts to End Rape being held?

DC: The event is being held at The Station in Carrboro. The Station has been a great supporter of the OCRCC and offered to let us use the space for the event. 

DTH: Who will be playing at the event?

DC: Bangzz. They were referred to us by people at The Station and we really liked them. 

DTH: What will the money be used for? 

DC: The money we raise at Punk Cuts will be unrestricted funds, so they will be used to provide things like taxi vouchers for survivors, purchase supplies for our workshops and support groups and provide food for community events — things that we wouldn’t be able to use grant money on.

DTH: What does the OCRCC do? 

DC: The OCRCC’s mission is to stop sexual violence and its impact through support, education and advocacy. We provide 24-hour crisis intervention services to survivors of sexual violence and offer sexual violence prevention education programs for schools and other community agencies.

@sethpyle22