Snake It Off: Taylor Swift announces new single

It's the year of the rooster, but that might change soon. 

After teasing fans with snake clips on her social media accounts, Taylor Swift announced today that she is releasing the first single off her new album, “Reputation,” tomorrow night. 

Additionally, she revealed her sixth studio album is coming out on Nov. 10 this year. 

In honor of the snake’s return, here are my favorite songs from each album. 

New Romantics

How come the best songs on an album are always the bonus tracks? Because “New Romantics” is honestly the best song on Swift’s fifth studio album, “1989.” 

The pop track is an anthem for our generation, especially in the way we approach relationships and love. Instead of speaking about her own personal relationships, Swift is speaking for all of us — the “New Romantics.” 

As young adults, many of us are not ready to be tied down yet. According to Swift, “we’re too busy dancing to get knocked off our feet” instead, but there’s nothing wrong with that. She embraces the fact that love will come and go often, but it’s important to have fun, especially at this time in our lives. After all, “the best people in life are free.”

Side note: I’m surprised Lorde didn’t write this song because this would fit perfectly on her sophomore studio album, “Melodrama.”

Begin Again

Before her departure from country music, Swift blessed us with this gem of a ballad. 

“Begin Again” tells the story of a woman who’s recently had her heart broken, but she soon begins to fall in love again. 

The track begins with Swift letting her listeners know that her expectations for this new relationship are low. However, she is astonished when this man does everything right that the last guy did wrong. By the end of the bridge, Swift learns to let go of the past as she sings “And for the first time, what’s past is past.” 

The ballad ends her fourth studio album “Red” – an album full of heartbreak, deceit and betrayal – on a hopeful note. One is left with the message that love heals. 

Side note: Check out “The Moment I Knew,” the first bonus track off the deluxe version of “Red.” It wouldn’t be fair to include another bonus song on the list, but this song is one of my all-time favorites from Swift.

Haunted

Have you ever been haunted by a past relationship? Swift has and she recounts it in her rock ballad “Haunted,” from her third studio album “Speak Now.” 

She begins the song noting the fact that they “walk a fragile line,” one that’s about to break. Swift wants the relationship to work, especially because of all the good memories she’s had with this man. 

However, it might be too late. She soon realizes that “something’s made (her lover’s) eyes go cold,” which could easily allude to him being seen as a ghost now – haunting her for the rest of her life. 

Swift pours her heart and soul into this heartbreaking track, which is illustrated through her vocal delivery. 

Side note: I prefer the acoustic version of this song. It’s “hauntingly” beautiful. Get it?

Love Story

Let’s be honest here – “Love Story” is Swift’s most iconic song. She basically re-wrote Shakespeare’s “Romeo and Juliet” and gave the tragic couple a happy ending. 

Released as the lead single off her sophomore studio album “Fearless,” the song retells the story of the star-crossed lovers – Swift as Juliet Capulet and her lover as Romeo Montague. 

However, instead of meeting their tragic demise, Romeo “knelt to the ground and pulled out a ring and said, ‘Marry me, Juliet.'" The song ends happily with Swift answering his proposal with a  “Yes."

The track is easily one of Taylor’s best offerings as it shows off her exceptional songwriting and storytelling skills. 

Tim McGraw

Have you ever heard “Tim McGraw?” No, not the country singer. I mean the Taylor Swift song.

“Tim McGraw,” Swift’s debut single off her debut studio album “Taylor Swift,” focuses on her relationship with a high school senior. When he leaves for college, he ends the relationship, leaving her devastated. 

Despite her heartbreak, she sings, “But when you think Tim McGraw, I hope you think my favorite song” to remind him of all the good memories they had – and what he lost out on. The track isn’t necessarily a diss toward her ex; instead it's a bittersweet way of remembering their relationship rather than lamenting its end.

It shows Taylor’s strength in moving forward, in addition to showing off her musical talent. It’s a great debut single that began her catapult to country – and eventually pop – superstardom.

@adamphan_