Though real bands are definitely my favorite type of band, fictional ones have a special place in my heart.   

The following list of bands are my favorite fictional ones — bands that I would love to see get together irl.   

School of Rock (from “School of Rock”)

“School of Rock” is the first movie I ever avidly described as my favorite, mainly because I wanted to be part of the band.

I was a very angsty elementary schooler, which definitely added to the band’s appeal.

My favorite song that they performed is “Zack’s Song.” The idea of rebelling against your parents and pursuing rock-and-roll seemed like the ideal (like I said, very angsty).

Josie and the Pussycats (from “Riverdale”)

While the “Riverdale” Josie and the Pussycats aren’t the only fictional representation of the band, these Pussycats are my personal favorites.

I especially love their brand: women of color being proud of themselves and who they are.

While most of their songs are covers, Ashleigh Murray is extremely talented, and I’m excited to see if there will be more original tracks in the second season of the show.

Sex Bob-Omb (from “Scott Pilgrim vs. the World”)

I am literally Knives Chau when she sees Sex Bob-Omb perform for the first time.

While I didn’t necessarily become the crazy fan she turns into, I love Sex Bob-Omb.

Also, the fact that Kim plays the drums is “so awesome,” in the words of Knives.

They’re extremely punky with a very DIY sound, and “We Are Sex Bob-Omb” serves as the perfect intro for the opening credits.

And Sex Bob-Omb isn’t even the only amazing band in this movie. Crash and the Boys have the amazingly straight-forward song “I’m So Sad, So Very, Very, Sad,” which tapped into that “School of Rock” teen angst.

Sing Street (from "Sing Street")

“Sing Street” is one of the most heartwarming movies I’ve seen.

The band Sing Street is formed during the movie to impress a girl, and spoiler alert, they succeed.

The movie takes place in the 1980s, which is reflected in the style of the music the band writes. 

It’s also very angsty.

One of the Sing Street songs, “Brown Shoes,” was written and performed entirely to diss one of the teachers at their school for being excessively strict in enforcing a school uniform.

But what I love most about their songs is that you don’t need to watch the movie to enjoy them. While they are directly related to the plot, they’re still easy to enjoy by themselves.

Stillwater (from "Almost Famous")

I love Stillwater less for their music and more for the drama the band’s members supply throughout the movie.

There’s also a special place in my heart for Stillwater because of what they do for William, the movie’s main character, in helping him follow his dreams of being a music journalist.

If any bands out there want to be my Stillwater, my Twitter is listed below.

@karynhbrown