Labor Day alleviates parking stress on Franklin Street workers

As Labor Day weekend approaches, many University students can look forward to spending time idling in Chapel Hill traffic on their way home to visit family. 

For employees of Franklin Street businesses who often pay for parking, the holiday weekend means free spots that are usually occupied by students become much more available. 

Clara Vengoechea, bartender and floor manager at Spanky’s Restaurant and Bar, said that managers, head chefs and sous-chefs have guaranteed free parking spaces in Turtle Lot on North Columbia Street, but space is scarce. 

“For other employees, there’s a pay lot for $1.50 an hour and two lots for $1.00 an hour,” Vengoechea said. 

On days where parking spots are more in demand, such as when home football games are scheduled, Vengoechea said parking costs jump much higher. 

“On game days when I’m not managing, I pay $20 to get in the lot, so you have to pay to work,” she said. “I’ve gotten to work early and sat in Starbucks for an hour just so I don’t have to pay the fee.”

Scott Banks, Parking Services supervisor for Chapel Hill, said parking is free all day Sunday and on Labor Day, but he’s heard complaints from many Chapel Hill workers that the regular parking charges mean they have to pay to get to work. 

Banks said this concern will likely be alleviated as many students who use free parking decks around Franklin Street go home for Labor Day weekend, opening up lots of free spaces for commuting employees of local businesses. 

Although he expects an influx of fans for this Saturday’s football game, Banks said the large number of students leaving town for the weekend should mean parking will remain available — and affordable — for local employees.

“Even with the football game that we’re having on Saturday, I would assume that on Monday there would be plenty of parking throughout the town,” he said. 

Several shops and restaurants around Chapel Hill have their own lots or spaces nearby, providing employees who drive to work a place to park for free. 

Linda's Bar and Grill owner Chris Carini said his employees have access to parking in an alleyway behind his restaurant. 

“We never really have a problem,” Carini said. “We can fit maybe ten cars back here.”

Benny Cappella's general manager Chase Sessoms said that employees of the Franklin Street pizza place usually don’t have trouble finding parking either. 

“My employees can park in the lot behind here, which they finally finished,” he said.

Banks said employees who work late can also access free spots by waiting until Chapel Hill Parking Services closes so they can park without paying a fee. 

Chapel Hill parking is always free on Sundays, a tradition Banks said helps attract tourism to the town. 

“On Sundays, we used to open up at 2 o’clock, so basically the town was free for church parking or religious parking of some sort in the morning time," Banks said. "I think the downtown businesses kind of were pushing to just make it free all day.”