Bergner impresses, remains composed in career-best showing in Tar Heel Invitational

When you watch Ava Bergner stride down the fairway, it’s hard to fathom that you’re looking at an 18-year-old college first-year and not a seasoned professional.

The UNC women’s golf team member showed poise and composure on the course beyond her years this past weekend — making great golf look easy — at the Tar Heel Invitational.

This was no more apparent than on the 13th hole of the final round on Sunday, when Bergner smashed a drive down the middle of the fairway, hit a beautifully controlled long iron to within about 15 feet of the hole and calmly rolled in the putt to finish with an eagle on the par five. She topped it all off with a fist pump.

However, Bergner stands out in more ways than one — literally. Listed at an eye-catching 6-foot-1, she grew up playing basketball in Ketsch, Germany, until her family made her quit to pursue golf full-time.

“I was not that happy with that decision,” Bergner recalled. “I was very upset, but after that I went hard at golf and trained every day.”

While her basketball days may be over, Bergner's athletic build gives her a powerful golf swing, one that routinely sends drives 10 to 15 yards further down the fairway than her opponents’.

She's used her power off the tee to great effect this season, breaking par in six out of her nine competitive rounds, including a six-under-par 66 at Finley Golf Course in Chapel Hill. The stellar round vaulted her into a tie for third place to finish the tournament with a total score of 10-under — the best result in her college career to date.

As a team, UNC finished fifth in the tournament and shot eight strokes under par over three days. It was the team's highest finish in the event since 2012 and its best 54-hole score ever at the Tar Heel Invitational. Bergner led North Carolina, finishing eight strokes ahead of the next closest teammate, Brynn Walker.

Bergner's start has been a fast start that even head coach Jan Mann admitted she wasn’t fully expecting.

“I expected her to contribute,” Mann said. “Did I think that she was going to do what she’s been doing? To be honest with you, no. It’s always a big adjustment, so I really didn’t think that would be the case, but it has definitely been a nice surprise.”

What’s even more impressive is that Bergner has done all this while still adjusting to an entirely new country.

“I thought it would be harder,” she said. “I’ve been traveling since I was younger so it’s not that big of a deal for me.”

Bergner has been on the Tar Heels' radar ever since Mann watched her play at a youth event in Doral, Fla. She received offers from all over the country, but after visiting UNC for the first time just last year, she and her family knew North Carolina was the place for her.

“We made an Excel table and ranked all the schools, but I didn’t even need to look at the results because I felt best here,” Bergner said. “Because of the people, because I love the facilities, I love campus, coach is great, and the team is fun, so everything felt right.”

When Mann looks at Bergner, she sees someone who will be crucial to the team for years to come. 

“I see her mentality, and I think she can definitely be a leader on this team," Mann said. "Not only based on scores, but also with her mental game.”

Bergner says her short-term goal is to win the national championship with her team, but she’s also looking to make the most out of her four years at UNC. 

“I’m just trying to become a better player and better person with every day, every week, every tournament we play, and see how low I can go,” she said.

If her first couple months in Chapel Hill are any indication, that could be quite low indeed.

@sam_jarden