Sunday May 9th

University could begin appeals process after NCAA decision today

At 10 a.m. this morning, the NCAA will publicly release its report from the Committee on Infractions regarding its decision on UNC’s athletic-academic scandal. 

But the report might not provide a final answer to this years-long investigation, as the appeals process could kick in. 

Could UNC appeal, and what would that look like? 

The NCAA states that “qualified representatives from member schools, conferences and the public, including university athletics administrators” can appeal the decision of the Committee on Infractions. 

Would an appeal mean UNC gets a new investigation? 

“An appeal is not a new hearing that provides a second chance to argue the case,” the NCAA writes in its procedure. 

The Infractions Appeals Committee can only reverse or modify decisions made by the Committee on Infractions if the appealing party can demonstrate: 1) the finding is contradictory to evidence presented before the Infractions panel; 2) the facts do not add up to a bylaw or NCAA constitution violation; 3) a procedural error occurred; or 4) “the panel abused its discretion.” 

What’s the timeline for the future? 

Individuals or institutions can appeal no later than 15 calendar days from the public release of the Infraction panel’s decision. Afterward, the NCAA must “acknowledge” the appeal formally — and the appealing party will have 30 days from this date to make a first submission to the Infractions Appeals Committee. 

The Daily Tar Heel for April 2, 2021