Wednesday January 19th

Word on the Street: What is University Day?

On Thursday, UNC celebrated everyone’s favorite October holiday. Halloween? Think again: It could only be University Day.

But wait — what is University Day anyway? University Day is celebrated every year on Oct. 12, the date the cornerstone of Old East was laid. There’s a lot of history behind the holiday, but basically, University Day is a time for UNC to celebrate its history as America’s first public university.

Staff writer Giselle Pagunuran asked UNC students what they knew about University Day. Some had a little more to say than others, but if there was anything students had in common, it was the overwhelming relief of having a small — but much-needed — break from classes.

Nereida Rodriguez Cruz

First-year, nursing major

“All I know is that we don’t have classes, which is very relaxing and very relieving, because some of us have exams.”

Carmen Johnson

First-year, biology major

“I read this note from Chancellor Folt so I think it’s the celebration of, like, the 224th year of the school being open? I think?”

Kyle Satina

Junior, global studies major

“If I remember correctly, University Day is celebrating when the University was founded — if I remember correctly. Don’t quote me on that.”

Lindsey Deaton

First-year exercise and sports science major

“It’s like, the birthday, I guess? Like UNC’s birthday?”

Garrett Basnight

First-year, undecided major

“Since UNC is the first public university in the country, I think that the birthday of the University of North Carolina actually shows a lot more than the birthday of other universities.”

@gisellepagun

The Daily Tar Heel for December 1, 2021