Review: Concerts to go to this November

Local 506

Local 506, located on 506 West Franklin Street, is a music bar that hosts touring musicians and local bands. Photo courtesy of Evan Millican.

Each month, our staff at the Arts and Entertainment desk puts together a list of concerts coming to the Triangle area. With genres ranging from indie-folk to punk-metal Christian worship, we’ve got you covered for just a few of the many performances coming your way. 

Cut Copy

Cat’s Cradle

Nov. 30, 9:00 p.m.

$25

Sounding like a mixture of The Killers and Cherub, Cut Copy gives listeners solid dance bops with their techno-pop beats. The Australian group receives almost 800,000 listeners monthly on Spotify across their many albums.

Their most-listened song is “Lights & Music,” which uses a strong bass line and vocals behind the talk-sung lyrics in the verses, and builds up to an upbeat chorus.

The Strumbellas

Cat’s Cradle

Nov. 7, 8:00 p.m.

$22

The alt-country, five-person band hails from Toronto, and despite having only formed in 2008, the group has already been nominated for and won several awards, including three Juno awards, iHeartRadio Music Awards and Canadian Radio Music Awards.

Mixing rock, country and indie music, the Strumbellas have risen to popularity with about 1.5 million listeners monthly. Buy your tickets soon — they’re selling fast! Some suggested songs are “Spirits” and “Shovels and Dirt.”

TJ Kong and the Atomic Bomb

The Pinhook

Nov. 8, 9:00 p.m.

$10

An eclectic band who describe themselves on their website as “a band of so and so's who sound like Bob Seger high on cocaine in the bathtub watching Werner Herzog movies,” TJ Kong and the Atomic Bomb have an indie-rock sound like if The Smiths were to cover a bluegrass song.

The alt-rock/bluegrass group released their new album “Dancing out the Door” this past October and have begun their tour promoting the album. Songs to listen for at their concert are “John Wilkes Booth” or “Mulholland Drive.”

The Wrecks

Local 506

Nov. 11, 7:30 p.m.

$12

The Wrecks formed in 2015 and since then have honed their craft as an alt-rock and pop-punk American band. They’ve previously toured with All Time Low and Nothing but Thieves, and are currently headlining their own tour — Robot Army Tour.

If you love listening to songs that remind you of your angsty teenage years but still have a nice jam session, check out their songs, “Favorite Liar” or “I Don’t Like You.”

Theocracy

The Maywood in Raleigh

Nov. 11, 8:00 p.m.-12:30 a.m.

$15-$20

*21 and over

Theocracy is a power-metal band with their music centered around Christianity and worship. Originally, it was a one-man project started by Matt Smith in Athens, Georgia, before the band formed in 2002.

Their new album, “Ghost Ship,” was inspired by fans who were searching for a place where they fit in. This theme of having a place for the misfits is prominent through the album, especially in the songs, “Ghost Ship” and “Castaway.”

@BetsScarisbrick