Michael Banks brings non-traditional style to Hillsborough

Michael Banks
Hot Spot by Michael Banks will be on display at the Hillborough Visitors Center as a part of "Michael Banks: Art to Live By." Courtesy of Michael Banks.

Michael Banks will bring his unique style of folk art to Hillsborough, with an exhibit that will run in the town's Visitors Center from Jan. 19 to April 22. 

The exhibit is called “Michael Banks: Art to Live By.” Mike’s Art Truck, an online art gallery and vendor run by Karen and Greg Mack, is running the exhibit in tandem with the Alliance for Historic Hillsborough. Visitors to the exhibit will be able to buy pieces from the collection through Mike’s Art Truck. 

Banks is a self-taught artist from Northern Alabama. The Macks came to know him through his art about a decade ago, and have shown and sold his art since. 

Much of Banks’ artwork is surreal. He has a distinct, recognizable style. He frequently uses tar alongside more traditional materials for his paintings. About Banks' non-traditional style, Karen Mack said: “The point, I think, if there is any point, is to engage the viewer to look at the painting and actually think about it.” 

Many of Banks' portraits feature subjects with multiple eyes, oddly shaped features and unusual color schemes. Banks said his favorite paintings of the new collection are a series of paintings he made of his hand. 

“It represents giving,” Banks said. “The hands are either moving forward, or holding things going forward.” 

Banks has always been an artist and remembers drawing when he was 6 years old. Banks said necessity drew him to art.

"I remember when I started drawing I’d use my mom’s lipstick or mascara or eyeliner," Banks said. "I guess it’s just a natural thing.” 

Karen Mack also emphasized the uniqueness of Banks’ art.

”He is sort of on the edge of folk art," she said. "His style is more modern than conventional folk art. It’s brightly colored, and the subjects appear to be unusually configured.” 

Greg Mack echoed his wife’s perspective on Banks. 

“It’s something we don’t normally see in and around this area,” he said. 

Banks stated that much of his early work had darker, gloomier themes, but that the Hillsborough collection has a different feel.

“Some of the things I did in the past were kind of dark," Banks said. "These are more cheerful, gleeful.” 

The happier tone of the new collection will jump out at visitors to the exhibit, according to Banks.

“A lot of them have their mouths open wide, extremely wide with laughter,” Banks said. 

When asked about the change in the tone of his work, Banks told a story about watching his cousin fish. He explained that his cousin’s joy when he caught a fish inspired him to paint lighter, happier pieces. 

“It was funny in the sense that I was like, 'Man, I’ve got to start doing something that makes people happy again,'” he said. 

Though Banks draws inspiration from a wide variety of sources, the overarching theme of the collection is one of optimism, happiness and new beginnings. 

“Each individual piece is one of a kind," Banks said. "Each one represents a thought going into the new year.”

@aj_oleary55