UNC system reveals new logo and identity

unclogo.jpg
UNC system unveiled its new logo Wednesday. Photo courtesy of UNC system.

The University of North Carolina system announced Wednesday it is launching a new logo and identity for the system and two of its newest initiatives. 

In addition to these changes, UNC General Administration – which houses the offices of the president and senior administrative staff of the university system – will be renamed the University of North Carolina System Office to better represent its role. 

According to a press release, the new logo uses 17 lines to create the state silhouette and draws on the colors and images of the state flag. Inside the logo are the letters N and C separated by a star. 

“With this new look and unified message, the UNC system will honor the successes of our students, faculty, and alumni and expand educational access for every North Carolinian,” the press release said. 

The two newest initiatives are NC Promise and UNC Lab Schools. 

NC Promise is a tuition plan that will significantly reduce student tuition costs starting in fall 2018 at three UNC system schools – Elizabeth City State University, UNC-Pembroke and Western Carolina University.

UNC Laboratory Schools are programs at North Carolina public schools operated by UNC-system institutions. They will operate as schools of choice with a mission to improve student performance in eligible school districts. To be eligible, a school district must have 25 percent of its schools classified as low-performing. 

UNC-system President Margaret Spellings said in the press release the UNC system is known as a world-class system of teaching and research enterprise. 

“Our 17 institutions, individually remarkable and collectively extraordinary, are empowering students, driving innovation, and enriching the communities around them,” she said. “We have long delivered transformative results for our state and its citizens, but we can do more to harness our institutions’ individual voices and strengths to speak and work together in pursuit of our shared goals.”

The press release said that under this new banner, the 17 institutions in the UNC system are tackling challenges too complex and addressing needs too urgent to be solved by a single institution. 

“Together, these institutions are serving North Carolinians of all backgrounds, from Cullowhee to Elizabeth City and every community in between."

@baileysaldridge