Student-run art show explores the value of trust

ID Identity and Change
ID features art by students that is inspired by themes of identity. Photo by Emma Biggerstaff.

Trust is a pillar of human society so deeply ingrained that we almost forget how much we need it. The ID: An Exploration of Trust art show is here to remind us.

ID is a pop-up art show that presents student-made art themed around ideas of identity. The exhibit will showcase a variety of art, all on the theme of trust, Friday from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the North Carolina Study Center.

“As humans, we are incapable of living without trust,” said Anne Howard, a senior who is helping plan the event. “I trust the chair I’m sitting in, and I trust my friends to love me.”

Howard said that trust was chosen for this year’s theme because of how abstract yet relatable the value is. Through the theme, the independent, student-run art show aims to create conversation and introspection about what trust truly is.

Emma Biggerstaff and Maggie Blank began the pop-up art show as senior art students at UNC in the fall of 2015. The first ID art show explored identity and change, and the second show in 2016 featured the theme “coming home.” This year’s show is sure to be equally moving.

The students were asked to submit a short explanation of why their artwork pertains to trust. The explanations received were heartfelt and allowed for greater insight to each piece of art. The show organizers hope to include excerpts from these students alongside their artwork to provide background for each piece.

MaryRachel Bulkeley, a senior journalism major helping to organize the event, said she was impressed with how honest and transparent the artists were with their work and submissions. 

“They knew it would add to their art and how others perceived it,” Bulkeley said.

What makes the ID show unique is its variety and scope. Alongside traditional studio art and photography will be poetry, prose, music and dance.

“It’ll be fun to see what experiences people bring to the show,” Bulkeley said. “How they let their experiences influence the way they think about the art and the kind of conversations they have.”

Whether or not you submitted art to be featured in the show, you can still contribute. Two rocking chairs will be in the Pit on Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., where passersby will be able to write examples of trust or lacking trust on the chairs. This interactive piece will then be on display at the art show Friday.

“I think it will be challenging for people to open up about what they don’t trust,” said sophomore Demi Massari, who is planning on attending. “But it could be comforting to see that other people have similar distrusts.”