600 HIGHWAYMEN seeks to evoke change within the audience with 'The Fever'

TheFever_Baranova-2307.jpg
600 HIGHWAYMEN's performance of "The Fever" will be at CURRENT ArtSpace + Studio. Photo courtesy of Christina Rodriguez.

Carolina Performing Arts has "The Fever" — that's the title of an interactive play being put on in Chapel Hill through April 15. The performances are being held at CURRENT ArtSpace + Studio. 

The play was created and is being performed by 600 HIGHWAYMEN, a collaboration between theater artist couple Abigail Browde and Michael Silverstone. The entire production team is subject to change from show to show, but Browde and Silverstone are the backbone of the group. 

Since 2009, the duo has created eight original works: "The Fever," inspired by the Russian ballet, “The Rite of Spring,” is their newest.

"The Fever" is a unique performance — one of subjectivity. The audience should be prepared to work closely with the actors and even become one of the actors themselves. 

"Every performance is completely different," Silverstone said. "Everyone takes away something completely different.” 

The interactive performance was described as a “poetic evocation of our mostly unspoken — and un-called-upon — dependence on one another” by The New York Times, which also said that it “seeks to break down those unseen walls we all put up around us.” 

Christina Rodriguez, the associate director of marketing communications at Carolina Performing Arts, has not yet seen the show, but expresses her excitement to experience “the sort of sense of discovery” that many have claimed the show arouses. 

The performance is one that is meant to evoke change within the audience over its duration. A recent performance in Dallas was thought-provoking and led to a sense of connection, according to Rodriguez.

“The themes that come out of the show about connection and how we are responsible to each other, even with strangers are really fascinating and important,” Rodriguez said.

Browde and Silverstone have found that an important component of each performance is for the audience to think and talk about what they have just experienced together. So after each performance, they stick around for an informal gathering with the audience to talk about their experiences.

Amanda Graham, the director of engagement at Carolina Performing Arts, said she “didn’t know if excitement was the right word — but more ready to give into the experience,” in regards to the performance. 

“People have been changed by their experience," Graham said. "The way they go into the theater and the way they relate to each other when they leave the theater is entirely different — there is a level of intensity and familiarity that changes through the process of being a part of the production.”

@skylertaggart