No. 1 UNC women's tennis routs Notre Dame, 6-1

Jessie Aney Vanderbilt

UNC junior Jessie Aney yells with excitement during a Feb. 25 match against Vanderbilt at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.

The No.1 North Carolina women’s tennis team won 6-1 against Notre Dame on Friday, improving its record to 19-2 (8-1 ACC).  

To begin the competition, doubles pair Maggie Kane and Cassandra Vazquez faced an early 5-0 deficit against the Irish. Although they rallied back to win one game, the Irish ultimately won, 6-1.  

On Court One, top-ranked duo Alexa Graham and Jessie Aney also faced an early 2-1 deficit against the Irish. After rallying back to tie the Irish 2-2, Graham and Aney weren't able to stop the Irish and lost their match, 6-3.  

Since the Tar Heels lost two doubles matches, Makenna Jones and Chloe Ouellet-Pizer’s match went unfinished.  

Heading into individual play, Notre Dame had a 1-0 doubles point lead. The Tar Heels now had to win four out of six individual matches to beat the Irish.  

In individual play, the Tar Heels bounced back, winning the opening set in all six individual matches.  

Graham won in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2, to give UNC its first point of the match.  No.14 Jones would also win in straight sets, 6-1, 6-4, to give the Tar Heels a 2-1 lead over the Irish.  

On Court Four, Ouellet-Pizer won in straight sets, 6-4, 6-3. With that win, she gave the Tar Heels a 3-1 lead.  

Now North Carolina, only needed one more point to clinch the victory over the Irish.  

On Court Three, No. 30 Sara Daavettila won in straight sets, 7-6, 6-2. With that win, she gave the Tar Heels a 4-1 lead and clinched the victory.

Two individual matches were still undecided, even though UNC had already won. On Court Six, Akkerman got off to a fast start and won the first set, 6-2.

To start the second set, Akkerman fell to a 2-1 deficit. Although she rallied back to lead 4-3, she could not stop her opponent Ally Bojczuk who won the next three straight games to secure the victory, 6-4.

After taking a 3-2 lead in the third set, Akkerman would not look back and won, 6-3.  

After Akkerman’s victory, only one individual match was undecided. During the first set, Aney faced a 4-3 deficit but rallied to win three straight games in order to take the set, 6-4. After taking the first set, Aney found herself in a 5-4 deficit in the second set.

She rallied back and the score 6-6. After the tie break was played, Aney emerged victorious for the Tar Heels, 8-6.

Although she did not win alongside her doubles partner Aney, Graham still stood out in singles beating opponent Brooke Broda in two straight sets, 6-2, 6-2.

In addition to Graham, No.14 Jones won in two straight sets, 6-1, 6-4. Daavettila and Ouellet-Pizer stood out with both adding two-set victories.

After the Irish won the doubles point, the Tar Heels needed to win four out of six individual matches to secure the victory. The Tar Heels rallied back to win all of their individual matches.  

After No.14 Jones won in two-straight sets to give the Tar Heels a 2-1 lead they never looked back. On Court Four, Ouellet-Pizer won in straight sets, 6-4, 6-3. With that win she gave the Tar Heels a 3-1 lead.

The Tar Heels needed only one more win to clinch the point and the victory. With two individual matches still taking place, No.30 Daavettila was able to secure the victory. 

Although the Tar Heels faced a 1-0 deficit, losing the doubles point to the Irish, they rallied back and won all of their individual matches.  

With this win, the Tar Heels have won seven of their last eight ACC matches, with the only loss coming 4-3 at the hands of Georgia Tech. They only have five more ACC matches before they head to Cary for the ACC Tournament in late April.  

North Carolina will be back on the road on Sunday to take on Louisville at 11 a.m.

@TorreNetkovick