Plan Your Weekend: June 13-17

WXYC's held a semi-annual 90s dance party in 2014, featuring student DJ Sam Schaefer. DTH file photo by Johanna Ferebee

It's the weekend and it's time for some family fun. Here we have complied a list of events happening around the Chapel Hill/Durham area that should be a good time for all ages. Some are even FREE!

June 13 - Print Your Own Fabric - Make it work, darlings. This 2.5 hour class is BYOF(abric) and will teach all sorts of neat tricks for screen printing. The perfect way to make sure no one is wearing the same thing as you. (Freeman's Creative)

June 14 - Black Music Black Films - This festival is going all month long and is free. The movie this week is Sparkle: The Original and each movie features soul, hip-hop and R&B. (The Bullpen)

June 14 - “Northanger Abbey and Frankenstein: 200 Years of Horror”- Calling all fans of the creepy, spooky and scary: This all-weekend symposium features a masquerade ball, theatricals and a speaker series. (Hampton Inn & Suites)

Scraps of leather, yarn, and other oddities fill the warehouse that is The Scrap Exchange in Durham. 

June 15 - Fam Jam - Get off the couch, grab those youngin's and get moving. Kidzu's own musicians wanna get you and your children grooving to the music this weekend. (Kidzu)

June 15 - North Carolina Symphony - I smell a picnicking opportunity. Pack a cooler and come enjoy the sweet tunes of our state's own symphony. Did I mention it is free? (Southern Village)

June 15 - 97.1 The Hill Summer Social - Free ice cream! But you have to get there quick because only the first 100 cones are free. Here's your motivation: It's Maple View! (University Place)

June 16 - Fair Trade Tent Sale - Need a summer closet cleanout? Bring your gentle-worn clothes to make a tax-deductible donation AND shop One World Market's sale. Win-win? (One World Market)

June 16 - Beginning Sewing Class - Got loose buttons? Let the Scrap Exchange teach you how to fix them. Learn all sorts of sewing machine wizardry with all materials you need provided. (The Scrap Exchange) 

Carrboro hosts its 6th annual Open Streets festival to bring the community together. 

June 16 - Dimensions of Black: A Celebration of the Arts - A broadway star, a cellist and a contemporary dancer. Does this sound like a night of amazing art to anyone else but me? (St. Joseph's Historic Foundation/Hayti Heritage Center)

June 16 - Family Day: Farm Creatures - Following the family-fun trend, get outside and see some animals! Face painting, crafts and a food truck make this a perfect summer's night out. (Duke Homestead State Historic Site) 

June 16 - Goat Yoga - If you have been pining over your favorite influencer's Instagram, then you may have already see this. Relax and unwind with some furry, friendly helpers. (Hux Family Farm)

June 16 - Parkwood SummerFest - What is summer without festivals? Artisan markets, local beer and food trucks are the pinnacle of the summer neighborhood experience. (Parkwood Ballfield)