Not all heroes wear capes, but N.C. Comic Con gives you a chance to

Chapel Hill Comics will be permanently closing its doors at the end of March

With Halloween upon us, Chapel Hill is in the midst of a costume craze. Soon, the streets of Durham will be littered with people dressed as everything from superheroes to cartoon characters. But the costumes seen may not be for just Halloween, because N.C. Comic Con is coming to Durham from Nov. 9 through 11.

Alan Gill, the owner of Ultimate Comics, started the event about a decade ago in the The Streets at Southpoint Mall. Gill said he was ecstatic when a few hundred people showed up to his first N.C. Comic Con. Now, Gill said, they’re expecting about 7,000 attendees at the convention.

“They think it’s all San Diego Comic Con, or New York Comic Con. None of those things are connected. We started it here in 2010,” Gill said.

Included with a ticket to N.C. Comic Con are events like movies and meet-and-greets with well-known comic artists and writers. The convention makes use of the historic Carolina Theatre, as well as the Durham Convention Center, for the convention’s biggest cosplay contest yet.

In addition, lucky attendees at the screening of “Willow” on Friday night will receive a print featuring characters from the film.

Various speakers will make appearances at the convention throughout the weekend, including Chuck Palahniuk, the author of “Fight Club.”

Quin Melvin, an employee of Ultimate Comics and one of the people with a hand in picking who gets to speak at the convention, said he was especially excited to have Palahniuk present.

Melvin said when contacting famous comic creators to come to the festival, they listen to their customers. 

“We tend to go off what our customers, as well as the attendees, would be into. We listen to the people,” Melvin said.

Aside from all that is planned for the convention, just seeing what costumes people can come up with is an event in and of itself. Gill said one of the more impressive costumes he’s seen was an extremely lifelike Optimus Prime suit, worn by a regular attendee of the convention.

“It’s still the truest form of escapism next to movies. I tell all of our customers, whether you grew up with comics, or you’re new to comics, they’ve become a lot more easily accessible," Melvin said, "the industry has been able to tell a broader array of stories, as well as being a part of the growing diversity in our country. On top of that, who doesn’t enjoy a good superhero story?” 

Siena Fallon is another employee of Ultimate Comics. Fallon said she first went to N.C. Comic Con as a fan when she was still a student at UNC. Now, she’s helping to run the event. Fallon said she’s looking forward to seeing what superheroes she’ll see around town this year. 

“Just staying around Durham that weekend in nearby restaurants there’ll be the Avengers sitting down, having dinner,” Fallon said.