Modernextension Dance Company explores freedom through improvisation

Modernextension Dance Company
Modernextension Dance Company is hosting an improvisational dance performance based on freedom. Photo by Jason Satterfield.

Modernextension Dance Company is exploring the meaning of freedom as Election Day approaches. 

Modernextension is a student-run modern dance company that provides a creative outlet for students interested in modern dance. They will showcase Freedom: An Improv Performance at 5:30 p.m. on Nov. 4 at Gerrard Hall. 

Heather Swain, president of the company, said the group initially thought about having the show on Veterans Day but had to move it to this weekend because there wasn't an available space at that time.

“Our initial thought was focused around American patriotism and American freedom," Swain said. "We started talking more about it this semester. The first few ideas that popped up just weren’t about that. They are more about individualism and freedom of expression and freedom to say no to things that you don’t want and say yes to things you do want, and just be very open about that and not having to hide.”

Sarah Richardson, a member of the company, has been in the group for five years. Inspired by the current political and social climate, Richardson said that freedom is the overarching theme, and individual dancers choose a direction within it. 

Lauren Zitney, treasurer of the company, said each and every member of the group had a different interpretation of what freedom means and what it doesn’t mean. 

“You'll see very different interpretations of what the word 'freedom' means throughout the performance,” Richardson said. “When I heard the world 'freedom,' I just thought about what it looks like when you are lacking freedom, or when that freedom is not equal in the society.” 

Zitney said that to her, freedom is tied to justice. 

“There would be justice in the world if every person is given the environment and the resources and the house, both mentally and physically, to truly be able to grow to one’s fullest potential,” Zitney said. “And I think freedom is potentially the environment in which justice can occur.”

Richardson said that modern dance was developed in the 20th century in response to the ballet. Over the years, different individuals have added techniques to inspire the current way of modern dance. 

“When you watch us, you’ll see highlights of different techniques that have been over the 20th century," Richardson said. “It’s like watching a live performance, but you don’t know what’s coming – and neither do we as performers – until it happens.” 

Zitney said the show on Sunday gives a different experience that is unique from anything most people on campus have seen before. She hopes it will challenge the audience members, while also giving them a study break. 

“Hopefully audience members will be able to walk away with a new perspective of what freedom can be, or be able to relate to another dancer, another interaction that they thought based on their experiences of what freedom is,” Richardson said.