"Hedda Gabler" reimagining wants to show effects of societal pressure on women

46120925_2450088731674903_1947274623670288384_n.jpg
Photo taken by Olivia Herrera

Kenan Theatre Company tackles issues like independence and identity through their upcoming production of Henrick Ibsen’s play “Hedda Gabler.”

The play centers around a young woman named Hedda who struggles between what society wants for her and her personal wishes, while also dealing with mental illness.

“To me, she’s a very sick person and she’s doing her best to keep it together,” Genna Crites, the assistant lighting designer, said.

Tori Jewell, a senior starring as Hedda in the production, said that the play explores some very dark topics, including death, mental illness, societal pressure and suicide. Jewell said the major takeaway of the show is to live truthfully.

“The only way to live happily is to live truthfully, even if it’s in antagonism to the world around you,” Jewell said. “Hedda would say that’s an act of bravery.”

The play has been in production for the past several months and has undergone major content cuts, a change in directors and frequent conversations on how the actors can conceptualize the dark and complex characters.

“Hedda Gabler” is a 19th-century play that typically involves old, unfamiliar vernacular. For this reason, Jared Bowen-Kauth, a student producer, said the production team tried to reimagine “Hedda Gabler” for their audience.

“We were really interested in bringing together a classic play that everyone knows but making it more fresh,” Bowen-Kauth said. 

Bowen-Kauth also said that the directors worked very closely with actors to develop characterization and movement that best fit this reimagined formed of the classic production.

“All the characters have a sense of confusion over whether they should follow their own wishes or those of society,” Bowen-Kauth said. “We wanted to make it more of a fusion of reality and fantasy to describe their mental states.”

Where Hedda is typically viewed as angry, Bowen-Kauth said they wanted to emphasize how the constant societal pressure to act and live a certain way is what causes Hedda to lash out. Everything from stage markers, to lighting designs to costumes were meticulously decided to create this reinterpreted version of "Hedda Gabler" and ensure the audience saw Hedda in a different light. 

Students and professionals came together through weeks of preparation to produce a quality show for UNC students, Bowen-Kauth said.

“When it’s done and its done really well, I think theater can be electrifying even for people who don’t usually care about it,” Jewell said.