Local vendors come together for Salt & Smoke Festival

Salt & Smoke Festival
Chef and Acme owner Kevin Callaghan founded the Salt & Smoke Festival six years ago. Photo by Zoë Dehmer.

If the aroma of slow-roasting pork, oysters and beer, and the sounds of live music and fun catch your attention on Saturday afternoon, they will most likely be coming from the Salt & Smoke Festival happening in Chapel Hill. 

When asked why people should attend the festival, Zoë Dehmer, director of operations and planning at Acme Food & Beverage said: "Because it's the best damn party of the year." 

About 500 people are estimated to gather at Rock Quarry Farm from  3 p.m. to 8 p.m. for the party.

“We’ll smoke three whole hogs … and shuck something like 3,000 wild oysters,” Dehmer said. “We’ll also have steamed clams and have a big batch of them like every 30 minutes for the whole day.” 

Dehmer said this is the perfect event for not only bringing the community together but also for highlighting the importance of supporting local businesses and farmers. Chef and Acme Food & Beverage Co. owner Kevin Callaghan started the festival six years ago for these purposes and to have a good time.

Firsthand Foods, a meat wholesaler located in Durham, has not only supplied the local pasteurized pork for the festival for the past few years but also provides Acme with the top-quality meat they serve to their customers daily. 

“Customers like Acme make it possible for local farmers to be in business because of their commitment every week to source locally,” Firsthand Foods co-founder and co-CEO Jennifer Curtis said. 

Curtis said people want to know where their food comes from, and the festival is great opportunity to have fun and engage with their customers.

Included in the ticket price are two drink tokens for festival attendees to enjoy two Top of the Hill Organic Spirits beverages at the festival, or to use at different vendors.  

TOPO has been a partner for the festival since 2013 because Chef Callaghan supports local spirits, Esteban McMahan, an employee at Top of the Hill Distillery, said. He is one of the spirit vendors who will serve at the festival. 

Tickets to the event are expected to sell out by the end of the day on Friday. They range from $85 to experience the food, drinks and entertainment, to $60 to enjoy two beverages and the show. 

There will be back-to-back shows by Ellis Dyson & The Shambles, Old Well Wishers and Boom Unit Brass Band. 

“We’re going to have a great time … We’re looking forward to the food and the people were great (last year),” said Brannon Bollinger, a member of Boom Unit Bass Band.