UNC volleyball swept by N.C. State in rematch of early ACC victory

skylar wine-volleyball-miami
Junior Skylar Wine (6) tips the ball during the game against Miami on Sunday Oct. 11 at Carmichael Arena. UNC won 3-1.

After defeating N.C. State 3-1 in September, the UNC volleyball team was swept on Wednesday night by the Wolfpack.  

Both North Carolina teams came out strong on the offensive in the first set. The teams battled back and forth, shifting the score and the momentum various times throughout the beginning of the set. 

The Tar Heels (7-18, 3-13 ACC) managed to keep the score within a few points of N.C. State (14-12, 8-8 ACC) until they reached 22 points. At that point, the Wolfpack gained possession and dominated to finish the set 25-22.

The loss of the first set did not deter the Tar Heels. They came out with the same fire and determination heading into the second set, but dropped another.

With the pressure and intensity increasing and the score tied at 22-22, both teams traded a pair of points. N.C. State took control of the set and closed it out, 26-24. 

After losing the second set, UNC was unable to regain their focus and momentum. It let the Wolfpack take control of the third set early on and later clinch the final set, 25-16.

Junior Skylar Wine led the team offensively with 11 kills on the night. Aristea Tontai, an opposite hitter, was close behind Wine with six kills of her own.

Sophomore setter Hunter Atherton also contributed with 23 recorded assists. Collectively, North Carolina had a good offensive night, making the right plays when it needed to. On the defensive end, it lacked the power to defend hits, serve and free balls sent back by N.C. State.

Although the Tar Heels managed to stay within distance on Wednesday night in the first and second sets, N.C. State won decisively. When they took a four point lead in the third set, it was over. 

The Wolfpack, up two sets to none and 16-11 in the third, gathered all of their momentum to quickly dominate the final set and end the match. N.C. State only allowed UNC a total of five more points during the match after they took this lead in the third set.

After losing 10 straight games, the Tar Heels had won two in a row against Wake Forest and Miami. The game against N.C. State did not extend the winning streak, though. 

Up next, the Tar Heels will travel down the road to Durham to take on Duke on Saturday, Nov. 17 at 2 p.m.

@megandennehy