13 UNC wrestlers place in the top-five of season opening tournament at Hokie Open

Cory Daniel wrestling

UNC redshirt senior Cory Daniel placed second in the heavyweight class at the ACC Championship last season on March 3 at Carmichael Arena.

The North Carolina wrestling team opened its season on Sunday in Roanoke, Va., at the Hokie Open. Head coach Coleman Scott saw 13 of the 18 wrestlers that he brought to the tournament place in the top five. 

The Tar Heels placing in the top five were spread across all weight classes. North Carolina excelled in three classes in particular, the 125, 174 and 184-pound classes.

In the 125-pound class, first-years Joe Heilmann and Joey Melendez placed third and fifth, respectively. Heilmann won his first three matches of the tournament before dropping his semifinal bout. He then won the third place match by a 5-4 score. Melendez fell in the quarterfinals before eventually winning, 6-0, in the fifth place bout.

Redshirt sophomore Devin Kane and sophomore Clay Lautt placed second and third, respectively, in the 174-pound weight class. Kane was victorious in two matches before reaching the final. He dropped the final by a 4-1 score and was crowned runner-up. Lautt lost his first match of the day but worked himself all the way back into the third place bout where he won 12-4.

In the 184-pound class, redshirt senior Chip Ness finished third and redshirt first-year Chasen Blair ended the day in fifth place. Ness started his final season as a Tar Heel with two straight victories before losing in his semifinal bout. He bounced back with a 9-3 victory to win third place. Blair fell in the quarterfinals but came back to win the fifth place bout, 6-4.

Overall, five wrestlers made it to their respective championship bouts for UNC. 

First-year Brandon Whitman won the 197-pound weight class and was the only Tar Heel to earn a first place finish. Whitman stormed through the bracket on his path to victory and earned a 17-5 win in the semifinals before his 9-5 triumph in the championship match.

Redshirt senior Cory Daniel also had a strong showing, finishing second in the heavyweight division. Daniel escaped the first three rounds but lost a nail biter, 3-2, in the final match.

Other second place finishers include redshirt sophomore Kennedy Monday in the 157-pound class and redshirt junior A.C. Headlee in the 141-pound division.

This tournament was a chance for the first-years to showcase their skills and for veterans to assert their leadership. The mix of talented first-years and seasoned leaders did not disappoint, as many placed for UNC.

The wrestling team opens the dual-team season with three straight road matches. The Tar Heels will next take on Chattanooga on Sunday at 2 p.m.

@matt_chilson