Column: Cardi B, we don't like it like that

Livy Polen

Cardi B recently garnered national attention for Instagramming her rant about the Trump administration and the government shutdown. Among those who responded to the viral video was conservative political commentator Tomi Lahren.  

Lahren tweeted, “Looks like @iamcardib is the latest genius political mind to endorse the Democrats. HA! Keep it up, guys! #MAGA2020” 

Cardi B responded, “Leave me alone I will dog walk you.” Yikes! Cardi B went on, “I’m paying about 4 million in taxes this year so most likely I am paying for your insurance.” 

A celebrity using their wealth to prove they’re sympathetic toward poor people? This sounds painfully familiar.  

Leftist celebrities consistently condemn wealth for its selfish use as they lounge around in satin robes, waiting for the government to force generosity upon them through higher taxes. If the rich and famous are so serious about combatting social issues, why don’t they donate more? What kind of society are we if the goodness of the people depends on government mandate? Taxation is just donation enforced by the threat of incarceration. Maybe if Cardi B would rap that, we’d have more conservative millennials.  

Harper’s Bazaar published a list of fifty Trump-hating celebrities whose combined net worth rings in around $7 billion. That’s enough to send about 700,000 youths living below the federal poverty threshold to college. It’s enough to provide the 43 million Americans on food stamps with groceries for a week. For $1 billion more, these 50 celebrities’ collective net worth could pay all of America’s minimum wage workers’ salaries for a year. I see no more flagrant display of income inequality than Amy Schumer’s meager $11 million, rather than $20 million, Netflix deal, but let’s hear her out on why Trump supporters are “disgusting” for supporting a president who improves the economy for Middle America.  

The leftist policies celebrities use their fame to promote can very realistically be achieved through their own private endeavors, but it’s a lot easier for them to critique those who actually try. Blaming every social issue on President Trump is Hollywood’s favorite self-prescribed remedy to alleviate their rich man’s guilt. Ironically, President Trump is the only celebrity to use his platform to create 3.4 million jobs, enact progressive legislation in the criminal justice system and sacrifice his popularity, family’s privacy and day job to actively try to make the country better.  

Mixing pop culture with politics resonates well among armchair activists; it lets them binge watch Netflix under the façade they’re contributing to an industry that backs social justice. But no proletariat revolution has ever originated on Instagram live inside of a multi-millionaire’s walk-in closet. Tomi Lahren is right: it’s disturbingly comical how fame has become a golden soapbox for celebrities to spread their hypocritical agendas.  

Thanks, though, Twitter, for being the stage for Cardi B’s hilarious political performance.