'It was so insane': Electric atmosphere greets UNC swimming and diving on Senior Day

The men's and women's teams fell to Duke, 155-145, and 165.5-134.5, respectively, on Saturday, Feb. 2, 2019.

Despite the excitement surrounding Senior Day festivities at Koury Natatorium, it was the youth of North Carolina's swimming and diving teams that provided hope in an otherwise disappointing day. The men's and women's teams fell to Duke, 155-145, and 165.5-134.5, respectively, on Saturday. 

The venue was packed with Tar Heel and Blue Devil fans alike, who created an energetic atmosphere for what turned out to be an exciting meet to close UNC's regular season. The athletes appreciated the intensity the crowd provided for the seniors. 

“It was so insane,” said first-year diver Emily Grund. “It was so much fun hearing everybody cheer.”

Sophomore Alvin Jiang helped lead the way early for the men’s squad, placing first in the 200-yard medley relay in the second race of the meet. He followed that up with first-place efforts in both the 100-yard backstroke and 100-yard butterfly events. Fellow sophomore Valdas Abaliksta did his part as well, winning both the 100-yard and 200-yard breaststroke finals. 

For the women, it was first-year Sophie Lindner who provided reason for optimism. Although she only recorded one first-place finish, it was a decisive one. She earned a 3.92-second win in the 200-yard backstroke. Though the race was a heat, Lindner said she was just excited to race in it.

“It was exciting, and I was a little nervous,” Lindner said. “I thought there was going to be some competition, so it felt really good to get out there in front and win the race.”

It was the kind of showing head coach Rich DeSelm has come to expect from his young swimmers throughout the season. 

“Every meet they’re stepping up and doing some great stuff,” he said. “They’re leaders in practice and competition, and they’ve been shining all season long.” 

Senior Day was not without some veteran highlights, however. In the 200-yard individual medley, Noah Cairns trailed Duke’s Sean Tate heading into the freestyle, the final stroke of the medley. With a strong final push on the last lap, the Chapel Hill native closed out his regular season career with an exciting .61-second come-from-behind victory.   

On the diving boards, it was Grund who secured the lone victory for UNC. The victory came in dominating fashion, as she recorded a score of 350.40 in the 3-meter dive. The performance did not come as a surprise to head diving coach Abel Sanchez.

“She dove really well, nice and smooth and consistent,” Sanchez said. “They’re pretty tired at the moment, I’ve been beating them pretty hard, but she did a really good job bouncing back.”

Despite the outburst, Grund said the her score was far from her mind. 

“I was a little surprised (by my performance),”  Grund said. “I just tried to be consistent. I wasn’t really focused on the scores and just took it one dive at a time, and it was a positive.”

Improvement and success as a first-year is tough, and guidance from older teammates is always helpful. Grund said that this year’s seniors, especially longtime friend Maria Lohman, have helped her make it through her first year. 

“Sometimes I won’t want to sleep in the dorm, and she’ll come pick me up and let me sleep at her house, no matter what time of night,” Grund said. 

Now the Tar Heels will look ahead to facing Duke again in the three-day Janis Hape Dowd Nike Invitational starting next Friday. 

With the youth leading the way, UNC will hope to get revenge against the Blue Devils.

@TommyFradenburg