UNC women's golf places eleventh in New Orleans

Women's golf, Mariana Ocano

Mariana Ocano

The North Carolina women’s golf team finished eleventh out of 18 teams in the Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegiate in New Orleans, in a three-day trip that concluded on Tuesday.  

On the first day of play, North Carolina finished the round with a team score of 305 (+17), which placed them fourteenth out of eighteen teams. Senior Kelly Whaley, junior Mariana Ocano and junior Brynn Walker all posted a 4-over-par 76 to lead the Tar Heels.

“The first day we did not play well, and the conditions were much better than the other two, even though the scores didn’t show it much," head coach Jan Mann said.

Those conditions included rain and wind with gusts up to 25 mph that ensued over the remaining two days. 

On the second day, the Tar Heels were able to move to 13th place with strong performances from Ocano (+5), who improved three strokes from the first day. Bergner shot the best out of the bunch on Monday, posting a 3-over-par 75, including an impressive 2-under-par front nine score.

Other highlights from the second day included an eagle by Whaley (+6), and Walker (+7) sinking two birdies on the back nine.  

While most of the scores don’t jump off the page, it is worth noting that no team scored under par on the second day. 

“It was a day you had to stay patient, and play the wind the best you could,” said Mann. “With tough conditions, they could have folded, but they dug in and toughed it out.”

The third day was even better for the Tar Heels, as they climbed two spots in the rankings to finish in 11th place. 

Their attitude changed from the first day to the next two days,” Mann said. “Much more of a winning attitude going into the second and third rounds.”

Ocano posted the best score of the tournament with an even par on the last day. She ended the three rounds at 5-over-par overall, leading all Tar Heels and ending the tournament tied for 15th. 

The trio of Whaley, Bergner and first-year Nicole Lu all recorded scores of 5-over-par on Tuesday. Their performances were highlighted by Lu rallying back from two bogeys and a double-bogey on her first three holes by sinking a birdie on the fourth and staying steady throughout the rest of the round. 

“We would’ve liked to have finished stronger,” Mann said, "but I’m looking forward to our next event. And they realize that if they can be mentally strong, it can truly make a difference.”

North Carolina will be looking for improvement on Mar. 8, where the Tar Heels will compete in the Darius Rucker Intercollegiate in Hilton Head, SC.

@andrewmontross