With 14-2 game-three win, UNC baseball sweeps UMass Lowell

Austin Bergner UMass Lowell
UNC pitcher junior Austin Bergner (45) throws a pitch for the Tar Heels against UMass Lowell on Sunday, March 3, 2019 at Boshamer Stadium.

The No. 5 North Carolina baseball team (11-1) beat UMass Lowell, 14-2, on Sunday for its third sweep of the season in three series. 

Austin Bergner was on the mound for North Carolina (11-1) in the Sunday match, beginning his outing with two strikeouts and a groundout in the first inning.

The Tar Heels’ offense started fast behind him, with Dylan Harris doubling to center field in the first at bat. Caleb Roberts and Danny Serretti both hit doubles in the first inning too, as North Carolina scored four runs on four hits. 

Bergner continued to shut down the UMass Lowell (0-10) offense in the second, while the Tar Heels piled on four more runs to take an 8-0 lead. Bergner added two more strikeouts without giving up a hit. 

The key to the second inning for UNC was an Ashton McGee single to right field that scored two with the bases loaded. 

In the third, UMass Lowell bounced back to score two runs, their only runs of the day. The Tar Heels closed out any chance of a River Hawk comeback with five runs in the fourth inning, then another in the sixth.

With a 14-2 win, UNC outhit UMass Lowell 15-5 on the way to its 11th win in 12 home games to start the year.

Starting pitcher Austin Bergner stood out for the Tar Heels in this contest. Against the River Hawks, Bergner struck out 11 in 20 batters faced, besting his season high of six strikeouts in his last two outings. 

At the plate, Danny Serretti hit two doubles and drove in three runs. Jackson Hesterlee also hit two double and drove in three runs — as both players set a new season-high RBI total in the contest. 

The game was decided after North Carolina scored eight runs in the first two innings of the game. UMass Lowell could not stop the North Carolina offense, who continued to score six more runs — even after it was apparent who would win. 

With the win, the Tar Heels improved their season record to 11-1 as they swept their third series. In the win, both the stellar pitching and hitting propelled them to victory.

The North Carolina offense scored 33 runs in this three series, which is their second best so far after 34 runs were scored in the opening series against Xavier. The Tar Heels have played well so far in the 13-game home stand, with one more game against Charleston Southern before conference play begins.

The Tar Heels will play Charleston Southern on Tuesday, March 5 at 3 p.m. at Boshamer Stadium. 

@TorreNetkovick