UNC softball uses four-run inning to defeat ECU, 5-0

Brittany Pickett softball georgia
Brittany Pickett (28) pitches during UNC's Softball game vs. Georgia Tech on Sunday, Mar. 24. UNC lost the game 3-2.

The North Carolina softball (17-12, 6-3) defeated the East Carolina Pirates (19-14, 1-2), 5-0, on Wednesday. The Tar Heels used a four-run fifth inning to grab control of the game, while junior Brittany Pickett had a two-hit shutout en route to her tenth victory of the season.

After a scoreless four innings, North Carolina had three consecutive walks to begin the fifth inning before senior Kiani Ramsey hit a double to give the Tar Heels a 3-0 lead. Senior Berlynne Delamora singled to left to drive in Ramsey, making the score 4-0 before the end of the inning. 

In the top of the seventh a leadoff walk by Pickett, a fielding error, and a Megan Dray walk set up the bases loaded with no outs for first-year Abby Settlemyre. She hit a sacrifice fly to make the score 5-0, which would prove to be the game's last score. North Carolina closed out the game in the bottom of the seventh to win.

Pickett was dominant on the mound, surrendering just two hits and one walk in 6.1 innings with five strikeouts in a shutout gem. This gave Pickett her tenth victory and pushed the Tar Heels to 17-12 overall.  

Pickett came in with the bases loaded and two outs in the bottom of the first and forced a groundout, squashing any possible rally from ECU. 

Coach Papa also commended the play of Ramsey, who had a great catch in center field and a three-run double that busted open the lead for North Carolina. 

The game was deadlocked at zero in the top of the fifth inning when three Tar Heels drew walks. With the bases loaded, Ramsey came up and drove a 3-2 pitch to left field for a bases-clearing double. The hit gave North Carolina a 3-0 lead, which would prove enough to propel UNC to victory with Pickett, the team's ace, on the mound.

Head coach Donna Papa noted that after dropping the home weekend series to Georgia Tech, North Carolina needed to bounce back Wednesday against the Pirates before an away weekend series against Pittsburgh.  

“I think we needed to come out and start the week off," Papa said. "We said, 'Look, we have a new opportunity this week to do some really good things.' And heading into Pitt, it’s a good way to feel better about yourself after the weekend and get ourselves ready for what we need to do at Pitt. So, it was a good bounce back win."

North Carolina will travel up to Pittsburgh for a weekend series against the Panthers, with the action starting Friday afternoon at 5 p.m.

@Areynolds_DTH