April concerts close to home and around the Triangle

Watsky

Watsky recently performed at Cat's Cradle. 

Treat yourself to tunes of the town this spring, when a variety of musical genres will be played in music venues across the Triangle area. From Southern folk to sludge metal, enjoy special and unique sounds that are only a hop, skip and a jump away.

Close to Home: 

You don’t even have to leave the comfort of campus to experience amazing musical talent. Here are a couple of artists making their Tar Heel footprints.

North Carolina Symphony Orchestra 

April 14 at Memorial Hall

7:30 p.m. 

Tickets $18 to $68

Sometimes you just want to relax with images of the sea flowing and crashing across your consciousness. Well, Debussy’s La Mer is the piece for you! Inspired by his fondness for the sea, Debussy composed this piece in 1905 in France. Entertain your ear with the stylings of the symphony at Memorial Hall.

6LACK 

April 13

UNC Jubilee: 7:15 p.m. to 11 p.m. 

Carmichael Arena

Tickets $10 to $25

Have you ever wanted to write an East Atlanta love letter? This year, CUAB deserves one. I’m serious, the Jubilee is pretty cool. With the work of UNC CUAB, Ricardo Valdez Valentine aka 6LACK is coming to UNC. The Atlanta native rapper has been nominated for 3 Grammys (!!!). For a pretty low price, experience the chill hip-hop and R&B beats of 6LACK.

Locally Sourced: 

Local 506 Music Bar, located on Franklin Street, is a rock-centered platform for musicians. Here are some of the many artists that will perform this spring.

Eyehategod

April 9

Show at 7 p.m.

Tickets $20 and $25 at the door

It’s the '80s. It’s sludge. It’s metal. It’s sludge metal. The '80s American sludge metal band Eyehategod will be gracing the stage at Local 506 on April 9. Hailing from New Orleans, since 1988 Eyehategod has been making a name for themselves in sludge metal, a genre born in Louisiana. 

Sam Burchfield

April 13

Show at 9 p.m.

Tickets $10 to $15

The sun has just lowered enough to reach below the horizon. The sky is painted with splotches of pink, purple and red. You’ve just come home from a long day of classes, feet dragging, eyes heavy. It’s time for a nap. Sam Burchfield is the perfect lullaby. Raised in South Carolina, Burchfield is heavily inspired by Appalachian folk music and southern soul. 

Delta Sleep

April 16

Show at 7 p.m.

Tickets $13 and $15 at the door

Brooding and enticing, Delta Sleep hypnotizes. The four members of this indie rock band are touring North America this spring and making a stop in Chapel Hill with their new album, “Ghost City.” This album was recorded in Italy after the songs were written in Europe, Japan and Mexico. Some of their songs even feature lyrics in different languages.

Boom Unit Brass Band

April 20

Show at 9 p.m.

Tickets $8

It’s the Boom Unit Brass Band! You can’t go wrong with the Boom Unit Brass Band! The group describes themselves as “the best brass players and the baddest drummer in the Triangle.” With a full band of brass (as the name suggests), 10 musicians combine the past and present in creating brass-based jazz and funk.

Explore: 

While Chapel Hill and Carrboro are home to amazing visiting and local artists, there are so many cool artists only a bus ride or an Uber away. Here are some diverse musical stylings that might just tickle your fancy.

Epik High

April 13

Lincoln Theatre, Raleigh

8 p.m. 

Sold-out show but resale from $57 to $140

Some truly epic Korean hip-hop beats. All the way from South Korea, Epik High will bring you alternative hip-hop beats that unabashedly combine genres to create some truly innovative sounds. 

They debuted in 2004 and were the first Korean act to perform at Coachella in 2016. The show is unfortunately sold out, but if you can snag a ticket you will be in for a culturally immersive treat.

Brickside Music Festival in Durham 

April 13

Duke Coffeehouse

3 p.m. to 1 a.m.

Tickets $15, Student tickets $10

For just one day, the Duke vs. UNC rivalry can call a truce amongst tons of music at the Brickside Music Festival, hosted by Duke’s campus radio station WXDU. The lineup for this year includes: Shane Parish, Skylar Gudasz, The Black Twig Pickers, BANGZZ, OHMME, Guerilla Toss, Tyondai Braxton and Ace Mo. 

Though the festival is free for Duke students (Boo!), other student tickets are only $10 and there will be free t-shirts! Yay! Free stuff!