Letter to the editor: Why throw Joe Biden under the bus?

To the editor,

While I am no great fan of Joe Biden’s, since your recent column saw fit to once again drag Hillary Clinton through the mud for the sheer audacity of trying to run for president, I think it’s worth asking a few questions. 

First, whom does your columnist prefer then in 2020? Is it Bernie Sanders, who repeatedly voted to shield the NRA against regulation, voted in 1997 to dump toxic waste on the predominantly Latinx town of Sierra Blanca and of course wrote that tasteless 1972 essay about rape, which I will not rehash here since it could be triggering to survivors of sexual assault.

Perhaps your columnist will vote for Elizabeth Warren, whose impeccable progressivism includes being Republican until 1996? Or maybe Tulsi Gabbard, who both openly supported a gay conversion therapy group run by her father and seems to have a bizarre love for Bashar al-Assad?

I will vote for any Democrat who gets the nomination. No other choice would be conscionable. But as we enter into another long primary season, I ask one final question. Why does your columnist, who clearly lives in a glass house, feel so inclined to throw stones? If Democrats want to pick a candidate who can begin to clean up the “neoliberal hellscape,” then maybe everyone needs to be held to the same standard.

Jacob Larson

UNC 2019

Romance studies and linguistics