PREVIEW: Mike Fox, Michael Busch, others prepare to host NCAA regional round

Danny Serretti
First-year Danny Serretti (1) celebrates a home run during the Tar Heels' third baseball game against Boston College on Easter weekend, 2019.

The North Carolina baseball team (42-17, 17-13 ACC) captured the ACC Tournament Championship with a 10-2 win over Georgia Tech this past Sunday afternoon. Now the Tar Heels will shift focus to the NCAA tournament, where they’re ranked No. 14 nationally and will host the regional round at Boshamer Stadium. The ACC champions will be back in action Friday at 2 p.m. when they take on UNC-Wilmington (32-29).

Liberty (42-19) and Tennessee (38-19) are also in UNC's regional bracket and will play at 7 p.m. Friday evening. 

The Tar Heels caught fire recently at the plate, scoring 30 runs in their last three games, and are looking for the offensive success to continue.

Head coach Mike Fox expects to face adversity come regional play and isn’t backing down from the challenge. 

“Sometimes in these regionals runs are at a premium because you’re facing everybody’s best arm, especially in game one,” the veteran skipper said. “Everybody is going to throw their best arm at you because that is a critical game.” 

Fox attributes the team's success at the plate to hard work and a selfless mindset. 

“I think we hit the long ball all year … we can be a dangerous team,” Fox said. “You heard Michael (Busch) say, ‘We’re just a bunch of guys who want to win,’ and he showed that yesterday when he dropped the bunt down against the shift and passed the baton on to Aaron (Sabato). We need to keep that kind of mentality.” 

That team-first mentality resonates from the top of the program, from Fox down to his players. Busch received lots of praise for his performance this past weekend, but he was quick to point out all of the other contributions that made winning an ACC tournament title possible.

“You can look at everybody else’s individual performance,” Busch said. “Our whole pitching staff – B-Mart (Brandon Martorano) caught 40 innings, he caught some of the best games we’ve played all year. It’s all the little things everybody does.”

While last year’s trip to Omaha ended earlier than he would have liked – the Tar Heels gave up eight runs in the last two innings to Oregon State in an 11-6 College World Series loss –  Busch is drawing on his experiences to help prepare some of his younger teammates for NCAA tournament play.

“I think it will help us a great deal, just having that experience,” the first baseman said. “Winning a regional, playing at the Bosh, winning a super regional, going to Omaha, all those things tie in together and it helps when it comes to this season.” 

Some of those younger players that North Carolina will need include the likes of ACC Freshman of the Year Aaron Sabato, first-year infielder Danny Serretti and sophomore pitcher Joey Lancellotti.

Sabato tacked on two RBIs in the ACC Championship game, bringing his season total to a team-high of 56. Serretti, an ACC All-Freshman team selection, went 7-for-16 at the plate over the weekend with five RBIs. Lancellotti provided vital support out of the bullpen, throwing 133 pitches over 7.5 innings and allowing just one earned run.

If chalk holds through the first weekend of regional play, the Tar Heels would be facing a rematch of the ACC championship. No. 3 seed Georgia Tech would host the super regional in Atlanta, but first, the Tar Heels will have to take care of business at home, with the help of Busch and his younger teammates.

@jsimp24