University announces next dean for the School of Pharmacy

Beard Hall of the Eshelman School of Pharmacy in 2016.

After being approved by the Board of Trustees, Angela Kashuba will become the next dean of the Eshelman School of Pharmacy, according to a press release from Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Robert Blouin.

In the release, Blouin lauded Kashuba's years of service at UNC. She joined the University faculty in 1997 and got her doctorate of pharmacy at the State University of New York at Buffalo. 

In 2013, she was named the John and Deborah McNeill Jr. Distinguished Professor, and conducts research in the prevention and treatment of HIV/AIDS. 

Kashuba is the author of more than 240 peer-reviewed articles, and Blouin said in the release that she works with more than $20 million in research funds. 

Blouin was the School of Pharmacy dean prior to to Kashuba, and before his promotion. During Blouin's tenure Fred Eshelman gifted the pharmacy school $100 million, a move the University called "historic." Since the fall of 2017 Dhiren Thakker, a 20-year pharmacy school veteran, has been serving as interim dean.

"I know from working with Angela for years that she is ideally suited to lead our internationally recognized school forward while maintaining our strong commitment to enhancing the health of North Carolinians," Blouin said in the release. 

Once approved, Kashuba will begin her new role Oct. 1.